Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Gave my money away

amgibson
Explorer C

Southwest supposedly issued me a refund in 2020 for a cancelled flight, totaling almost $1,000.

I never even received notice that it was refunded (issue #1) and almost a year later I was told when I noticed my travel funds were gone.  When I explained I never received a refund, they gave me a load about “it was definitely sent to your bank, they must have it” after explaining my bank 100% doesn’t have it, I was pretty much told it wasn’t Southwest’s issue because they did their part and I needed to work to find my money.

I’ve been working on this for over 6 months with absolutely no resolution other than “your bank must have it and just won’t give it to you” NOT that their bank (CHASE) couldn’t have made a mistake and sent it incorrectly or not sent it at all.

Southwest has literally stolen my money, given it to God knows who, and won’t help me track it down whatsoever. Avoid these folks like the plague!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Southwest Gave my money away

bec102896
Aviator A

Sorry to hear of your issue. 

I would reach out to Southwest by clicking on the contact us link at the bottom of this page and someone from customer relations can investigate. 

You could ask when they processed the refund and to what card and look back at your statement as you may have actually gotten the refund and just overlooked it. We are all human and miss things from time to time. If you didn't get the refund maybe you can send customer relations a screenshot of proof. 

My guess is your funds were held as travel funds and not a refund. 

-Blake

parpitt1
Frequent Flyer A

I understand your concerns, but your explanation here seems vague, timeline wise. I would recommend the following:

Contact SWA customer service directly with exact and specific information, names of those ticketed, confirmation #'s, exact date of original purchase, type of fare you purchased, exact date you cancelled the flights, copies of of supporting emails, have your credit card statements with the original purchase transaction info as well.

Ask them for specifics in relation to the specific documentation you have. This will narrow the window of where your refund went to a matter of days in 2020.  

Best of luck

dfwskier
Aviator A

You waited until November, 2021 to complain about a refund you say you did not receive in 2020? 

REALLY?????

That tells me it was not very important to you.

amgibson
Explorer C

Oh, I’ve reached out to southwest and my funds were sent to their bank (Chase) but never received by my bank. This has been ongoing for 3-4 months now. They refuse to help at all.

my funds WERE travel funds then they refunded them, after saying they wouldn’t. Plus they didn’t tell me they refunded them so I never knew to look for them for almost a year until I went to use my travel funds and they were gone.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@amgibson wrote:

Oh, I’ve reached out to southwest and my funds were sent to their bank (Chase) but never received by my bank. This has been ongoing for 3-4 months now. They refuse to help at all.

my funds WERE travel funds then they refunded them, after saying they wouldn’t. Plus they didn’t tell me they refunded them so I never knew to look for them for almost a year until I went to use my travel funds and they were gone.

The travel funds also don't last forever, there were several extensions that might have applied during the pandemic to make it longer than a year but typically they are to be used within a year of original purchase.

That doesn't sound like the issue here if they said it was refunded, then I would be trying to confirm the routing numbers, etc.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.