Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

business select-anytime-wanna get away

jbugg
Explorer C

What is the difference in these?  
Why wouldn't I want to choose the lowest priced ticket?

13 REPLIES 13

Re: business select-anytime-wanna get away

bec102896
Aviator A

The Wanna Get Away is non refundable and you earn 6 rapid rewards points per dollar. If you should want to take an earlier flight on the day of departure you would need to upgrade your ticket to the anytime fare. 

The anytime fare is refundable/changeable and you will earn 10 rapid rewards points per dollar. 

The business select ticket is refundable/changeable and earns you 12 rapid rewards points per dollar. You will also get to be one of the first 15 people to board (after pre boards) A1-15 range. You will also get a free alcoholic beverage of your choice on the plane *must be 21 years of age or older to consume alcohol aboard any Southwest flight. 

So the biggest difference is the wanna get away is the most restrictive fare and you earn the fewest points while the business select is most flexible with most points earned and the benefit of being in the A1-A15 boarding. 

-Blake

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

When booking a flight you can also click on the names of the fare types at the top of the columns with the prices in them to see this chart which shows the benefits of each fare.

FareTypes.PNG

--TheMiddleSeat

jbugg
Explorer C

Thank you for the simple explanation.  I had searched the website for it but couldn't find anything.  
I haven't flown in years!  All so new and different.  

Can you also explain rapid reward points and what they are good for?

bec102896
Aviator A
Solution

@jbugg wrote:

Thank you for the simple explanation.  I had searched the website for it but couldn't find anything.  
I haven't flown in years!  All so new and different.  

Can you also explain rapid reward points and what they are good for?

If you join  Southwest's frequent flyer program you will earn Rapid Rewards points which is based on the fair type you book and the cost of the ticket the points do not expire so even if you only travel once or twice a year they will still be good the next time you fly Southwest.

Rapid Rewards points can be used to get free flights. Once you earn enough points  you can redeem  for the flight of your choice all you would pay is the government fee of $5.60 one way for domestic travel. The number of points needed for a flight is dependent on the cost of the ticket in dollars so a higher priced ticket in $ will cost more points then a lower cost ticket in $. Also some flights will cost more points based on time of day or if it's a non stop flight vs a flight with a connection. 

It is free to join the rapid rewards program and you can do so on southwest.com once your account is created you can put your rapid rewards number on any flight you take which is how you will earn points for free flights. There are no blackout dates or flight restrictions to use points on southwest every seat is a reward seat so as long as you have enough points you can redeem them.

-Blake

BUSINESS SELECT IS NOT WORTH IT

MWS
Explorer C

I am a frequent SW customer - I do the SNA - PVR route a dozen times a year, as well as SNA - SFO multiple times. When I'm with my husband, I've booked business select, so that we can hopefully get the extra legroom seats - of which there are only 6. The 4x I booked 'business select' - 4x we boarded after 6-12 people who 'pre-boarded' - most recently on my flight from Puerto Vallarta there were 12 people who FAKED their medical conditions - EVERY ONE OF THEM was a fake. They pre-boarded. My husband and I were boarding position A 1 & 2. We got on plane and 1 pre-boarder was holding the 2 other seats (to which I replied you can't do that, and moved on irate) and the other set of front row seats were taken by 3 ladies who faked a breathing apparatus. I had seen them in Puerto Vallarta prancing around in our town, and they FAKED having a breathing machine to pre-board the flight. I brought this to the attention of Puerto Vallarta SW staff, but they shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do. I was simply about to explode that I paid 3x as much for my 'business select' seats, and we ended up sitting in a normal seat 3 rows back. I realized for the 3rd and final time that 'business select' is a crock of SH** and since they allow scamming pre-boarders, those with "emotional support" dogs, and families with kids (clearly older kids) on BEFORE 'business select' ..... not worth it. I highly suggest to anyone traveling on SW airlines (any flight, any route, any day) it is NOT WORTH THE COST to purchase 'business select' seats. It means literally NOTHING other than you board the plane a bit earlier than the rest of the passengers, but you WILL NOT get better seats. Those 6 seats on each SW plane are always taken by pre-boarder scammers. They work the system, show up at the counter and claim they need to pre-board due to some medical condition, which is all BS. Do not pay for 'business select' - like flushing the funds right down the drain. **A perfect example of SW pre-board - in August 2021 I had 5 'business select' tickets for myself and family. We were boarding position A 1-5. We were in front of the line, on a sold out flight. Out of nowhere came Mike Tyson (boxer) and his entourage. SW staff pre-boarded them on the San Jose, California to Santa Ana, California flight ahead of everyone else. Now - if SW was an airline with first, business, and coach classes - I'd understand allowing a celebrity to board first, simply to negate too much excitement. But, you need to know that SW does not have boarding classes, or reserved seats. They have boarding 'positions' which you receive based on when you bought / checked in. The business select entitles you to a position of A 1-15 - basically, they tell you you will be 1 of the first 15 to board - therefore, you'll likely find an overhead bin easier, sit up closer to the front - or wherever you want. But, NOPE. SW allows the 'pre-boarders' BEFORE 'business select' - and trust in me, there are those who work that system, and FAKE their medical conditions, bring fake breathing apparatus, and walk up in crutches. FAKE FAKE FAKE. There is nothing that SW staff can do to 'question' anyone who appears to have a medical condition. They give them a pre-board pass, and they board first. Those 6 seats in total that have extra legroom will always go to a pre-boarder, and rarely will a 'business select' paying passenger receive a boarding position within the first 15 to board. WASTE OF MONEY. Don't get Business Select. IT IS A CON, along with those fake pre-boarders. 

Re: BUSINESS SELECT IS NOT WORTH IT

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@MWS if you are buying Business Select tickets solely for better boarding position you are doing things very wrong.

--TheMiddleSeat

MWS
Explorer C

Lesson learned!

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Preboarders always board before Business Select. This is so Southwest complies with federal regulations governing air travel rights of the disabled.

The seats in row 1 are almost always going to contain preboarders. Those using a wheelchair, crutches, or are in a cast, or who have other mobility issues, will often be placed there by flight crew.

As noted above, paying for Business Select just for the boarding position doesn't make sense. For a number of reasons, not the least of which being that you can purchase Upgraded Boarding at the gate and receive a similar A1-15 position for much less cost.

Southwest no longer transports emotional support animals. And families with kids don't preboard, they board after the A group.

There are, of course, more than 6 seats with extra legroom on a Southwest plane. But for some people, inexplicably, the only desirable seats are in row 1. Personally, I've never understood the attraction. There is limited overhead storage, no under seat storage, and the seats are noticeably narrower than others on the plane (partially due to the awkward tray table location in the armrests). That row is almost certain to be full, even on flights that aren't. Plus there's the risk, after seated, of being moved to accommodate a late-connecting handicapped traveler. In my opinion, the downsides far outweigh the upsides.

I often board at mid-A (or later) and easily score my preferred seat in the exit row -- one that also offers extended legroom, but without the negatives of row 1.

Sadly, it's frequently repeated here -- often by the same particular customers --  that, "'fake preboarders' stole their seat!" Seats they mistakenly thought they were entitled to as a BS purchaser. Which, of course, simply isn't the case. You'd think that after multiple experiences this would become obvious.

Business Select offers benefits which may be of value to you. For many those are primarily refundability and increased points earning. Buying it specifically for the boarding position -- and expecting that position to guarantee you a seat in row 1 -- is simply a mistake.

MWS
Explorer C

I appreciate your response. Duly noted. 

However, SW DOES / HAS boarded "emotional support" pets in 3 of my recent flights from Puerto Vallarta to SNA (Orange Co.) - Feb. March and April 2022 flights.

Each time, the dog handler and dog, wearing an "emotional support" vest were pre-boarded ahead of BS. 

Unless I'm hallucinating, they were dogs, and not dogs that fit under seats in a small crate. They were 45 lb dogs, out of crate. Well behaved, but indeed 4 legged friends.