Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

why do the A people not sit in back?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Boarding could be done in 15 minutes then. Social norms are destroying this economy. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: why do the A people not sit in back?

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

The beauty of open seating is that they can choose their own seat.

Solid feedback, though. Would recommend sharing it via Contact Us below.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

dfwskier
Aviator A

some do and some don't

floridaguy
Aviator C

I can definitely see the logic by boarding the back of the plane first.  I have no idea why that isn't the standard on planes with assigned seats.  However, with Southwest, you have open seating and there is no boarding of anything other than your position generally gives you a greater choice of seats.

I've toyed with the idea of having a tiered price for boarding position rather than actual seat.  For instance A1 would be the highest priced ticket, A2 a little less and so on.  I bet if you did the tickets that way, everyone would want to be the last person on the plane.

There are two choices.  Fly Southwest and have open seating, lower fares and quicker turnarounds or choose another airline that has assigned seats.

bec102896
Aviator A

I was A16 with 1-15 empty and no pre boards on my last flight (which had 60 people) I went to the row in front of the exit row and sat in the middle seat 

the flight before that was the 4th person onboard I went to the same place 

FlyWithLUV
Frequent Flyer C
Solution

Fun fact - Southwest has the fastest boarding method (confirmed by Mythbusters): https://youtu.be/ss1S3-Kv6R8

Yes, even a little faster than back to front.