Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How is travel from Austin?

Tikvah82
Explorer C

My mom (elderly, no smart phone) is supposed to leave on a direct flight from Austin to Indianapolis on 12/31. The online flight status says it's on time. But every flight says that,  including ones in known hot spots, like Denver, so I don't know if I can trust it. I did online checkin for her, and it went through fine. But I haven't gotten an email from SWA, like I normally would have by now, the day before her flight. Austin is like a 3 hour drive for us, and we're going to have to stay in a hotel the night before because it's an early flight. Can anyone tell me how I can know what real conditions are, how likely this flight is to take place?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How is travel from Austin?

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm glad to be able to say that she should be fine. Things are mostly back to normal,

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/southwest-airlines-operations-back-normal-142237148.html

edit add:

to put some meat on those bones

yesterday SW said it had cancelled 39 Friday flights

as of right now it's 41

So over 4000 flights will go out today. I expect the same tomorrow.

Tikvah82
Explorer C

Thanks!!!

bec102896
Aviator A

You can always check flight status on southwest.com the mobile app or on the ABIA website though this link: content.abia.org:8080/webfids/

things look like they are going normal at AUS today so hopefully things are back to normal with just the few random hit and miss delays/cancellations 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Use one of the flight tracking apps to see "where is my plane now" and as long as your flight made it in the night before then an early morning flight is often preferable - it's a known issue that as the day goes on things get behind, that's just general nature of doing anything, so a first thing flight has less chance of any prior delay affecting it.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

bec102896
Aviator A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

Use one of the flight tracking apps to see "where is my plane now" and as long as your flight made it in the night before then an early morning flight is often preferable - it's a known issue that as the day goes on things get behind, that's just general nature of doing anything, so a first thing flight has less chance of any prior delay affecting it.

Unless your me then a 5am flight will be delayed an hour and a half or longer 😜