Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Anyone working or going to be working at Burbank (BUR), CA? Also, my hiring process so far.

Spyduck02
Explorer B

Hi SWA family!

Been reading posts for awhile now while in the hiring process like many others here, finally decided to join.  I have a start date of 07/05/22!  Anyone else here starting or working at BUR?

I'll repost my hiring process so far in the post started by @TPArampgirl as well.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Southwest-Careers/Please-post-hiring-timelines/m-p/142017#M10595

05/31/22- Applied for Ramp Supervisor for Burbank, CA

06/06/22- Virtual interview via Microsoft Teams

06/06/22- Filled out additional background info inquiry

06/08/22- Uploaded my COVID-19 card

06/08/22- Received continent offer, stated the 4-6 weeks like many here received

06/09/22- Finger prints completed

06/09/22- Drug screening completed

06/22/22- Received email that my Employment Screening (Background?) was completed

06/22/22- Received email that the next available start date for me would be 07/05/22 and asked for me to confirm availability

06/23/22- Offer letter received

06/23/22- Start date confirmed, received "Ground Ops New Hire Training Overview" attachment

Each step I replied or did the required action same day, I still have not received the onboarding packet and with my start date on 07/05/22, I'm getting a little uneasy.  One thing that's helped calm my nerves is this community, know that the process takes time and is different for everyone. 

Good luck to everyone thinking about joining the family or in the process,

Chris (Spyduck02)

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Anyone working or going to be working at Burbank (BUR), CA? Also, my hiring process so far.

About2be
Frequent Flyer B

CONGRATS, Welcome, and WOOHOO !  and WEST COAST in the House!  great job on posting lot of info for others to follow. we all appreciate and are helped by your details and the time you spent helping out! thank you🤠

Re: Anyone working or going to be working at Burbank (BUR), CA? Also, my hiring process so far.

Spyduck02
Explorer B

@About2be 

Thanks for the encouragement! I'm trying to give back to the community since it seems like many of us go weeks without any updates.  Where are you stationed?

About2be
Frequent Flyer B

I'm headquarters dept DAL! Hoping to see EVERYONE when y'all come in for onboarding! I received 3 or 4 onboarding emails with several different times and dates. At that point in my process, my actual department manager had reached out to me, so I had several contact #'s for resources. "On boarding" does run several times a month, lately a week. Larger lecture rooms of 200-350 people "onboarding" together. I on-b'd after my 1st week of classroom.  My sup told me to follow our classroom training calendar and it will all work out. 

Spyduck02
Explorer B

Hi SWA family!

Update!

07/01/22- 10:23 PM PST Received email "Acknowledgement of Personal Information", acknowledged my information was accurate

07/01/22- 10:23 PM PST Received email "Southwest Onboarding", Had steps for me to do initial sign in to create my own password using my official SWA ID!  Then logged into the onboarding site which had me fill out or verify information.  About 10-12 documents, most were easy items I already filled out in previous steps such as verifying my info, if I was a Veteran, etc.  You don't have to do it in the order listed, you can pick and choose.  I left the I-9 for last since I thought it would be the hardest.  I tried clicking the Equifax link provided but it wasn't working.  I called the 24/7 help desk and the lady was very welcoming and helpful.  She sent me a link that actually worked but it wasn't letting me in for some reason.  I downloaded the Workday app and logged in.  I went to sleep a little worried since I-9 wasn't completed and while looking through what new information was available to me, it stated that I was supposed to have received my First Day Logistics "no later than the Wednesday prior" to my start date.  My start date is 07/05/22 and it's 4th of July weekend, and no such email still.

07/02/22- Woke up determined to get the onboarding done and find out my First Day Logistics.  Logged in and got to completed Equifax without issue, maybe the system/site was down for maintenance since it was about midnight or later when I last tried.  Emailed 2 different emails regarding my First Day Logistics, got auto replies from both stating that the email is only monitored Monday through Friday during regular business hours, so with Monday being a holiday and Tuesday being my 1st day I got even more anxious.  I tried chatting with the 24/7 tech helpdesk with no reply so I called the 24/7 tech helpdesk even though it was a non-tech question but the gentleman was calm and helpful.  He simply asked for a number to reach me back at, my SWA employee number, and said he'd call around to get someone to help me.  Within an hour the Assistant Manager of BUR, who also turns out to be my direct contact no less, calls me to answer my questions and ensure me that on their end they just got my First Day Logistics and would email them to me shortly.  I believe not even an hour after we were done talking did I finally receive my First Day Logistics!

My first week schedule is as follows:

07/05/22 6:00 AM to 2:30 PM- Classroom, SIDA badge process to start

07/06/22 11 AM to 7:30 PM- Classroom

07/07/22 11 AM to 7:30 PM- Classroom

07/08/22 11 AM to 7:30 PM- Out in the operation with Station Trainer

Employee parking at BUR is $17 and is payroll deducted with a $50 deposit. 

Uniforms to be ordered sometime during the 1st week. 

Forgot to ask about USPS clearance since I never got an email about it but I did read in other post that others were confused if Ramp needed it or not.

I'll continue to update my journey here as time goes by until I'm fully trained and on my own so keep checking back and don't give up hope!

-Chris (Spyduck02)

thePilot17
Explorer B

Congrats!

may I ask, why did you need to go to Equifax? I’m waiting anxiously for my employment screening completed email. 

Spyduck02
Explorer B

@thePilot17 

Southwest site had me click a link to Equifax to fill out my I-9.  The day after I got the email that my employment screening was completed I got the actual offer letter, not the contingent one, and start date confirmation which was 07/05/22.  07/08/22 is my 4th day, I was told it should be my first day out in the field. 

Hopefully you hear back soon!

jmalloy
Adventurer A

Hi Chris, just a quick note: I'm about 3 months in (ramp) and we just now got email about USPS clearance. We don't even handle mail here at LGB but apparently its required for all ramp agents.

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

A few in the classes hired after me got their emails. I still dont have mine! Lol.

aam29290
Explorer C

So employee parking at Burbank is $17 every time we have a shift and they only deposit us $50 a month for parking??? That would be $85 per week assuming you work M-F