Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Applied airport positions - limited to within state residence

jodie13
Explorer A

Hello!  I have applied for a few positions at the airport, to be turned away because I don’t reside in that state?  Is that normal practice?  I live where 3 states come together, I live in Ohio, just 45 min from the airport in Pittsburgh, PA.  I am curious as to the reason why one would have to live within a state of work?

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Applied airport positions - limited to within state residence

floridaguy
Aviator C

How do you know, for a fact, that you were declined employment due to your state of residence versus the state of location of the job?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy Again, you are totally uninformed. Some job postings specify the applicant must reside in the state in which the position is based. That's what the OP is referring to.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

...and, if you reread my question, I asked how they know, for a fact, that is the reason?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy because the job posting says it is a requirement and they read the job posting.

--TheMiddleSeat

jodie13
Explorer A

I have seen some of their requirements as needing to be in “said state”, recently I have applied to several to have a recruitment person say it’s because I don’t reside there.  If they are making that a requirement, it should be stated on the job posting. 

jodie13
Explorer A

Read my reply’s.  Recruitment reached out to me with documentation and explanation.  They stated it was hidden from applicant view, but would be fixed.  That specific position was taken down. I read all the postings, I wouldn’t have wasted my time if the restriction was posted.  The recruitment also said this is in place due to the fact that they won’t do relocation assistance.  Just frustrated and disappointed in SWA  recruitment. I also asked if this in place at all airports SWA flys, and if this is union and non union positions, they responded some positions are requiring that.  THEN THEY SHOULD LET THE APPLICANT SEE THAT AS A REQUIREMENT ON THE APPLICATION.  Again, I have seen them list it before on different positions, so why not all?

jodie13
Explorer A

A recruitment person messaged me with the reason for rejection.  I didn’t meet the requirements. She sent me the job requisition and the reason for no consideration.  I have seen some of the posting do in fact list specifically a location of residence, but the last 2 have not shown in the listing. 

jodie13
Explorer A

I applied to another position this week that again did not list state residency as a requirement.  But the 2 questions at the end of the application process are do you reside in the state of Pennsylvania? Have you ever been in the military?

if this is a requirement, it should be visible to the applicant.  Now because I love SWA, I am not able to apply to this position if the requirement be taken away for one year.  It needs to be visible for the applicants to see, right away. 

jodie13
Explorer A

My rejection blanket letter was immediately sent to my email, upon my submit to the application.  It was not listed anywhere on the application, however they had 2 questions on the end of the application…are you a current resident of Pennsylvania and have you ever been in the militrary.  If in fact this is a requirement, to be within said state, it should be listed under requirements.  Where I reside is 7 miles from the Pennsylvania border to Ohio, transit time is 45-60 min commute.   A representative from the recruitment team reached out to me and they don’t even look at your information if you don’t reside in that state.