Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Career Question

Bryn
Explorer C

Hello, 

I am wondering about a Ramp position with the company. If able to commit to nights, weekends and holidays, does that suffice for attendance? OR would you have to be able to commit to a full day flexible schedule? 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Career Question

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

If you are hired for the ramp, during your first week of training you will be on a regular schedule. Thats M-F, basically 9-5. From my experience, after that, you will be on the same schedule as your trainer. Mine was approx 5am-1pm with Tue/Wed off. Then you go to Dallas and train M-Thurs, approx 7am-4pm. After that, I was certified, and immediately went to nights, 5pm-2am with Wed/Thurs off. For my first bid schedule I got 5pm-2am again with Th/Fri off. Next month, I have 130pm-10pm, Fri/Sat off. In all honesty, I don't even know how I pulled off the Fri/Sat days off. The more senior people usually get those, and it's very rare for a newbie like me. 

Basically, you kinda take what you get. Lol. I know it's not like that forever tho. It's only this way in the beginning. 

TNuts
Frequent Flyer C

Exactly what TPArampgirl said. I was hired last year(Aug) and spent 4 weeks with my trainer then was released and given an open line which was a closing line(1600-0030) with Tues/Wed off. I spent 8 months with that same shift and same days off since I was low man on the seniority list. I am now on mornings(0430-1300) with Wed/Thurs off due to all  the new employees SWA has hired and now that they are below me in seniority for our monthly bid. If you have any ramp questions please be sure to ask TPArampgirl or myself. Good luck!!!

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

Mornings!? Lucky you!