Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Didn’t meet minimum requirements?

Ingrid1976
Explorer C

Hello

I previous worked for Southwest for five years. I eventually left on good terms to chase a new career dream. My dream did not work out as planned and I realized my heart was still with Southwest.

Three months ago, I was granted an interview. I was turned down for rehire for my exact former position. The rejection letter encouraged me to reapply for different positions as they appeared.

Three days ago I applied for a different position that I also have over three years experience in. I also received an employee recommendation from a former Southwest coworker. Today I received a rejection letter saying I would not even be granted an interview. The letter stated that I did not even meet “Minimum Requirements “ for the position I was applying for.

I have the educational requirements. I have vaccine requirements. I have years of actual working experience at the very job I was not even considered for.

I am obviously very confused and discouraged. I feel like I’m being punished for trying to reapply after leaving on good terms. Being told I don’t even meet minimum requirements is humiliating and untrue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Didn’t meet minimum requirements?

bec102896
Aviator A

You could try reaching out to your old boss if they still work for Southwest and maybe they can put in a good word for you or maybe find out why you are being rejected. 

In the meantime don't give up keep trying. 

-Blake 

williamh
Employee
Employee
Solution

Hi Ingrid. I'm sorry to hear you weren't selected at this time, but we appreciate you considering us! The "minimum requirements" you're referencing are pre-screening questions we ask. Things like "are you 18" or "are you authorized to work in the United States." Sometimes we see candidates who click through those too fast and select the wrong answer. While we're unable to modify an application that was already submitted, I encourage you to double-check those answers in the future. Thank you again for your consideration, and we hope you'll apply again soon!

Hi! I am one of the Moderators for the Southwest Careers board. See you around the Community!

William
Southwest Careers

dfwskier
Aviator A

Thanks for clarifying that, William.

The question seems to come up frequently, and your response should help others with the same question.

apike2535
Explorer C

Hi William,

I recently applied to a posistion on Southwest Careers, and immediately got the "does not meet minimum requirements" email. Figured out I selected a box wrong accidently, and have tried to go back to the application process just for it to say "you've already applied to this position." Is there a certain time I must wait before trying again, or do I need to apply for a different position? Asking because I would like to go to a specific facility that only has one job listed. Thanks.

adrienneb
Employee
Employee

Hey, @apike2535!

Since there's not a way to modify your application after clicking submit, I'm afraid there's no way to correct your application or fix that incorrectly-selected box. 
The only alternative would be to submit a new application with a secondary email address - be sure you are careful with those questionnaire answers the second time around! 

williamh
Employee
Employee

I'll keep an eye out for them! Thanks, dfwskier. 

Hi! I am one of the Moderators for the Southwest Careers board. See you around the Community!

William
Southwest Careers

5626Chris
Explorer C

I am in the same boat.  I am curious if I didnt meet minimum requirements for a job I previously held do I need to wait 1 year before reapplying or may I reapply as soon as another position is open?

adrienneb
Employee
Employee

Hi, @5626Chris

We're grateful for your interest in a Career with Heart! We're sorry that this opportunity didn't work out, but we encourage you to keep an eye on our Careers site, as new positions are posted regularly. You are welcome to apply to another position as soon as you'd like! 

Wishing you the best of luck! 

5626Chris
Explorer C

Thank you I most definitely will.  I loved my job and was sad to leave.  Hoping they will open positions back up soon!