Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Question about city codes

mdlee3
New Arrival

When doing the city codes, do you have to just know the city or the name of the airport? Also, is it like AUS is _________ (Austin, TX) or is it multiple choice or what?

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Question about city codes

TPArampgirl
Solution

You need to know the city and the code. Certain cities where there are multiple airports, you'll need to know the airport, too. A good example is Chicago-Midway and Chicago-O'Hare. 

Also, there is no multiple choice, so you'll either know it or you won't.  

It'll give you a city, and you type in the code. 

Ex. Tampa, Florida. ---> TPA

HAPPY STUDYING!

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Southwest-Careers/Current-City-Codes-Study-List/m-p/144756#M11590

bsmithwmu

@TPArampgirl  - you just went to Dallas I believe so maybe you have better info . I am in orientation right now. We are being told we don't need to know the codes until Dallas for the test (which is 5 weeks). We were told today 100% needed, and it's multiple choice. Maybe it's different for positions, but could you tell me your criteria , only if you've taken the test. What was the number or percent you could miss, and whether it was mult choice or you just needed to put in the 3 letter code. People in class have been hearing lots of things, but fig'd i'd directly ask someone I thought recently took the test.

TPArampgirl

I think it may depend on your position. I work on the ramp, so it may be different for you. I went to Dallas way back in April. We were tested on our codes the end of our first week. Dallas came a couple weeks later and had other tests for us. It was not multiple choice for me. Ideally you should know 100% because our customers are depending on us to know our jobs. We use these codes daily, and I’m glad I didn’t just aim for the minimum score (which was 80%). I hope this info helps!

bsmithwmu

@TPArampgirl  Thanks for the specificity. I, personally, am not worried about it. I know every code already that I've seen for SWA (121 codes I believe) , and i always seem to get 1-3 wrong when I do a speed test but usually thats in the form of just being in a hurry and just mix up sjo/sju/sjc bc quickly look at san juan/san jose and trying to beat my time...or write bhm not bhn ...simple stuff that will be easier to control if i take my time (like a real test haha) . I just like to have as much info ahead of time. Thanks again.

TPArampgirl

There are no speed records to be broken, so you should be fine. 😁

Chicagocity
New Arrival

If you don’t pass the test for the ramp what happens next 

Boaterchris
New Arrival

Hey I’m supposed to start my first day very soon for orientation/class training for a ramp agent what is the timeline for the airport codes? I’m just worried I won’t pass them. 

TPArampgirl

You have until Friday to know them. You’ll be tested then. Good luck!

GracieLou

How can I print this list?  I chose the print option but it's not working.  Any ideas?

Thanks!!