Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Question about city codes

mdlee3
Explorer A

When doing the city codes, do you have to just know the city or the name of the airport? Also, is it like AUS is _________ (Austin, TX) or is it multiple choice or what?

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Question about city codes

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A
Solution

You need to know the city and the code. Certain cities where there are multiple airports, you'll need to know the airport, too. A good example is Chicago-Midway and Chicago-O'Hare. 

Also, there is no multiple choice, so you'll either know it or you won't.  

It'll give you a city, and you type in the code. 

Ex. Tampa, Florida. ---> TPA

HAPPY STUDYING!

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Southwest-Careers/Current-City-Codes-Study-List/m-p/144756#M11590

bsmithwmu
Adventurer C

@TPArampgirl  - you just went to Dallas I believe so maybe you have better info . I am in orientation right now. We are being told we don't need to know the codes until Dallas for the test (which is 5 weeks). We were told today 100% needed, and it's multiple choice. Maybe it's different for positions, but could you tell me your criteria , only if you've taken the test. What was the number or percent you could miss, and whether it was mult choice or you just needed to put in the 3 letter code. People in class have been hearing lots of things, but fig'd i'd directly ask someone I thought recently took the test.

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

I think it may depend on your position. I work on the ramp, so it may be different for you. I went to Dallas way back in April. We were tested on our codes the end of our first week. Dallas came a couple weeks later and had other tests for us. It was not multiple choice for me. Ideally you should know 100% because our customers are depending on us to know our jobs. We use these codes daily, and I’m glad I didn’t just aim for the minimum score (which was 80%). I hope this info helps!

bsmithwmu
Adventurer C

@TPArampgirl  Thanks for the specificity. I, personally, am not worried about it. I know every code already that I've seen for SWA (121 codes I believe) , and i always seem to get 1-3 wrong when I do a speed test but usually thats in the form of just being in a hurry and just mix up sjo/sju/sjc bc quickly look at san juan/san jose and trying to beat my time...or write bhm not bhn ...simple stuff that will be easier to control if i take my time (like a real test haha) . I just like to have as much info ahead of time. Thanks again.

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

There are no speed records to be broken, so you should be fine. 😁

Chicagocity
Explorer C

If you don’t pass the test for the ramp what happens next 

Boaterchris
Explorer C

Hey I’m supposed to start my first day very soon for orientation/class training for a ramp agent what is the timeline for the airport codes? I’m just worried I won’t pass them. 

TPArampgirl
Frequent Flyer A

You have until Friday to know them. You’ll be tested then. Good luck!

GracieLou
Explorer A

How can I print this list?  I chose the print option but it's not working.  Any ideas?

Thanks!!