Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

A List Preferred now expired

TheConnection
Explorer C

Hello- 

I have opened no less than 6 cases on my account regarding my AList Preferred renewal for 2023. The case numbers are below. I had a flight booked on 12/28:22.  Business Select that would have been worth 8946 points.  Ate that time I had 63805 points in toward my A List Preferred Status. That 12/28/22 fligh would have more than put me over the threshold ((72751) for 2022 renewal for my 12th straight year.  I contacted Southwest no less than 10 times over the month of January and every time I was assured there was an internal memo issued (even read it by Amy a CSR in Phoenix call center) that stated Southwest was backed up but they would be awarding the renewal provided the cancelled flight occurred during the 12/25 - 1/2 disruption period and it would in fact have renewed the status or companion pass.  In my case it is A List Preferred.  Today my status is only A List.   Please resolve this ASAP.  Very upset loyal customer. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: A List Preferred now expired

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

This is a customer to customer forum so you will not get a response from Southwest here. Use the contact us link below and send a message.

I am aware of people who were given the month of January to earn points or take flights they needed for 2022 status, but I don't recall seeing anyone being given status just because they had a flight booked which was canceled. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's not something I recall seeing people say happened. If you did not earn the points you needed in January it may be more unlikely that you will be given the Preferred status you are seeking.

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheConnection wrote:

I have opened no less than 6 cases on my account regarding my AList Preferred renewal for 2023. The case numbers are below. I had a flight booked on 12/28:22.  Business Select that would have been worth 8946 points.  Ate that time I had 63805 points in toward my A List Preferred Status. That 12/28/22 fligh would have more than put me over the threshold ((72751) for 2022 renewal for my 12th straight year.  I contacted Southwest no less than 10 times over the month of January and every time I was assured there was an internal memo issued (even read it by Amy a CSR in Phoenix call center) that stated Southwest was backed up but they would be awarding the renewal provided the cancelled flight occurred during the 12/25 - 1/2 disruption period and it would in fact have renewed the status or companion pass.  In my case it is A List Preferred.  Today my status is only A List.   Please resolve this ASAP.  Very upset loyal customer. 

I'm not sure about opening six separate cases which will just spread out the efforts on reviewing things, but I did hear of people who missed by one flight getting the status awarded, so I would keep asking about this.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

TheConnection
Explorer C

So let me correct that.  They aren’t new cases. They are supplemental cases as I’ve called in the agents have issued supplemental case numbers tied to the original case. My apologies.  

With reference to others who said my assumption that the cancelled flight during the 12/23- 1/2 disruption period would not renew my tier if it in fact was enough points to do so.  This incorrect.  I was read aloud by two different agents, the internal email that was sent stating that very fact.  (Amy in the Phoenix call center and Charlotte in the Albuquerque call center (as recent as this week)). I had 63,000 points and a Business select flight booked on 12/28/22 worth 8,000+ points. This would have given me more than enough to renew ALP.  They say the case is still open and have faith that it will be resolved that the team is just behind.  Charlotte actually escalated last Saturday with a demand for a personal call from Customer Svc.  I’m still being patient… it’s just hard to believe it’s taking this long.  Unfortunately for SWA- I’m holding off booking any flights (revenue) until this is resolved because i want the full credit and don’t want to go through THAT hassle of trying to get the retroactive backfill of points.  Not with the way this has gone.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheConnection wrote:

So let me correct that.  They aren’t new cases. They are supplemental cases as I’ve called in the agents have issued supplemental case numbers tied to the original case. My apologies.  

With reference to others who said my assumption that the cancelled flight during the 12/23- 1/2 disruption period would not renew my tier if it in fact was enough points to do so.  This incorrect.  I was read aloud by two different agents, the internal email that was sent stating that very fact.  (Amy in the Phoenix call center and Charlotte in the Albuquerque call center (as recent as this week)). I had 63,000 points and a Business select flight booked on 12/28/22 worth 8,000+ points. This would have given me more than enough to renew ALP.  They say the case is still open and have faith that it will be resolved that the team is just behind.  Charlotte actually escalated last Saturday with a demand for a personal call from Customer Svc.  I’m still being patient… it’s just hard to believe it’s taking this long.  Unfortunately for SWA- I’m holding off booking any flights (revenue) until this is resolved because i want the full credit and don’t want to go through THAT hassle of trying to get the retroactive backfill of points.  Not with the way this has gone.

That makes sense. According to what you've described they will end up awarding it.

As long as the case was resolved by the time you flew you'd still get all of the points, the extra ALP bonus would kick in when you fly not when you purchase.

Assuming you have a Rapid Rewards credit card then the purchase cost would award points at the same rate either way. 

Personally I'd get the flights booked and then use that in my response that the issue needs to be resolved by the next flight. And look at all of the flights you have booked.

But I've also been previously happy with being A-list, so I can see the frustration for you if you have been ALP all along.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jksobonya
Aviator A

Are you saying you were close to A-List Preferred, your flight was cancelled, and you're still expecting to be awarded A-List Preferred? 

That's typically not how things work - you did not receive enough points in the calendar year to qualify. However - Southwest gave many folks an extension to January 31 to fly and earn additional points. Did you take advantage of that? It's now February, so ... I'm guessing not. 

Still - others who were granted an extension to January 31 were also extended their status for the entire year. I don't know the qualifications, but it's possible you could qualify for that.

--Jessica