Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarded Plane, but then asked to leave...

Jweeds125
Explorer C

I had a reserved flight with Southwest from Miami to Baltimore on Feb 25th.  I was allowed to board the plane and while I was walking down the aisle, I was asked to disembark the plane.  I was not rude or disrespectful to anyone and the flight attendants at the gate allowed me to board the plane.  I was given no reason as to why I was asked to get off the plane and it was the last flight to Baltimore for the night.  They did not even rebook my flight; I was placed on standby for the following day.  This resulted in me being forced to get a hotel room at Miami airport for the night which cost me $428.27 with none of my belongings or medications in my checked bag.  This was completely unacceptable for a paying customer to be treated in this manner. They had no reason to ask me to leave the plane. I just returned from a cruise that morning and arrived at the airport around 9:00am and spent all day waiting on my flight. During lunch I had 2 drinks and then went to the gate where there were no seats, so I sat on the floor and ended up falling asleep from complete exhaustion. When I woke up, they were boarding the plane, so I gave them my ticket and walked on. That was when I was asked to disembark the plane. This kind of treatment was unnecessary and unacceptable. I requested for reimbursed for my hotel room that I was forced to get due to the treatment from Southwest Airlines, but crickets. They have yet to reach out to me.  This is on top of another complaint I already have for getting my flights cancelled over the Christmas disaster.  How are we to get a response from Southwest and hold them accountable?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Boarded Plane, but then asked to leave...

floridaguy
Aviator C

You may have appeared intoxicated to the staff at the gate.  They do have the right to refuse flight for that reason.

I would suggest communicating your concerns directly with Southwest.

There has been a lot of activity on this board about the Holiday DISASTER as it has been known.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry to hear that you ran in to trouble.

If I had been asked to leave the plane, I would have demanded to know why.

As far as being put on the standby list,  that may be the best the airline could do. If the flights were all completely booked (it is spring break), then the airline would have put you on the standby list.

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy 

What does the December meltdown have to do with this NOTHING. Let’s stay on topic 

glad to see you realize they can deny service though (you actually have a correct answer there congrats) I was expecting you to suggest a lawsuit 

floridaguy
Aviator C

If you care to read the original post, you will note that the contributor mentioned the Holiday DISASTER, as it has become known.

You may wish to review that post and reposition your response.

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy 
I believe it says FEBRUARY 25th 

floridaguy
Aviator C

"This is on top of another complaint I already have for getting my flights cancelled over the Christmas disaster."

There's a quote from the OP. 

Again, try and reread the message to obtain the complete information.

Thank you.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

"This is on top of another complaint I already have for getting my flights cancelled over the Christmas disaster."

There's a quote from the OP. 

Yet, has no relevance to the main topic of OP's post and neither does any of your commentary (as usual).

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

Then I would suggest sharing your views with the OP in a reply to their post.  

If you need to have training on the reply technique, I would be glad to assist.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy clearly this conversation has gone over your head (again). As noted before, please keep your comments relevant to the topic of the thread. For example, this thread is about being removed from a flight. Your comments were not about that. It's more complicated than understanding how to reply so it may be a challenge for you. Please try to do better. 

--TheMiddleSeat