Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Carryon size limit - 50 linear inches

dstxus
Explorer C

I see some information that the carryon size limit is 50 linear inches ( 10 x 16 x 24).  I have an item that falls within 50 linear inches,  but it's 11 x 14.5 x 15.  Will this fit in an overhead?  I'm more concerned about the height of the overhead than the depth or width.  

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Carryon size limit - 50 linear inches

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @dstxus,

Can you provide a little info about your carryon bag? Is it soft-sided? If it is, you may be able to squish it down. If it isn't, you probably need to check it. If you can post a photo, that'll help us figure out whether it could fit. 

jeffdavidson
Explorer C

Hi Lindsey - I will be traveling to Cancun on Friday July 7. I was planning to carry on an empty RTIC Softpak 40 cooler (soft-sided) with only two (squishable) towels inside.

The dimensions of the soft-sided cooler are: 18.5" x 17" x 12" (47.5 linear inches total). Will this be okay as a carry on?

RTIC Softpak 40RTIC Softpak 40

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

hi @jeffdavidson,

Since the cooler is soft-sided, you shouldn't have a problem. You may have to squish it a little to make it fit into the overhead bin, but comparing it against our carryon baggage measurements, it appears to be compliant. Thanks for posting, and happy traveling!

TKERHOME1
Explorer C

I am also wanting to carry on the Rtic 40 pack. Did you travel with it as a carry on with no issues?

jeffdavidson
Explorer C

@TKERHOME1, yes definitely! We carried the RTIC 40-Can Soft Cooler on numerous  domestic/International Southwest Airlines flights (with no liquids/ice, of course) and never had any issues. It fits perfectly in the SWA 737 overhead bins. We filled it with clothes each way to minimize other luggage.

TKERHOME1
Explorer C

Thank you!