Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Delayed Baggage Payment Frustration

Dallas1225
Explorer C

I write this as I just pass the hour mark on hold with SWA.

My family of 3 were part of the SWA Meltdown with our bags hopelessly lost in Dallas after we took a last min flight on AA to Miami for an extended 3 week trip. We called every day asking about the status of the bags and was told they would go out on the next flight to Miami which never happened, the bags were retrieved weeks 

After sending in detailed receipts (case# 62249469) for our cost including buying new luggage to get home the new clothes we had to purchase. The email I keep getting back from SWA is the email below with no documentation or accounting behind what the feel is “outside the parameters” after asking for an explanation and resubmitting for review. 

Very frustrating and unprofessional to have this lack communication with no reasoning, accounting  or options for a discussion. 

My next steps are to drive over to the corporate office which is a mile from my home, file a formal complaint with the DOT, asking my neighbor who is a TV news anchor in Dallas for a story, hire social media travel influencers to help and file a lawsuit.

Let my know any thoughts on what I’m missing or can do to get this resolved. 

So disappointed, as my family has been a loyal customer for over 25 years with being A list or a list preferred for years and year. Not to mentioned owning the stock for 15+ years until last month when I gave up after this experience and sold it all. 

Please know that we reviewed your receipts, and your final amount for payment is $3,990.53, which we believe represents your reasonable expenses. After a thorough review, we are unable to meet your request for reimbursement of $6,054.23 as this falls outside of the parameters of what we consider a reasonable expense as it pertains to our flight disruptions.

Your business is important to us, and we hope you will give us an opportunity to welcome you onboard soon.

Sincerely,
Devon Garza
Southwest Airlines

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Delayed Baggage Payment Frustration

floridaguy
Aviator C

In my opinion, it is disgusting the way SW handled this situation.  The event has become known as The Holiday DISASTER.  

Despite what some of the frequent contributors will say, I believe that you should present your case to the CEO and then seek a legal remedy.  

SW has had three months to sort this out.  They choose to doddle along with more than just you, others come here with the same complaints.

The Holiday DISASTER will wipe out most, if not all, of the earnings for 2023.  So, I'm sure that they are in damage control now that this is somewhat a prior news story.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Your bags were lost for 3 weeks (not permanently) and you claimed $6000 in expenses? Seriously? 

You also said that you flew AA which perhaps I'm making a poor assumption to read that you flew American Airlines. I'm going to guess this is @floridaguy trying to troll us all again with some more of his usual BS, giving him an excuse to make colorful, meaningless posts. 

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

My mom and I didn’t have our 2 bags for 8 days in Orlando we had $289 in expenses between the 2 of us (including XL shirts/shorts which are usually more expensive) sure 3 weeks is longer and you had 1 additional person compared to me but I still think $6000 is crazy let’s say you bought a $1000 ticket a person ($3000) luggage you can get for under $200 on Amazon so 3 bags ($600) so still $2400 just clothes hmm you buying a wedding dress and tuxedo? 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I think most airlines, including SW, allow a clothing allowance of enough clothes to "get by," and not enough to buy more than that. Buy enough clothes to "get by" and do laundry if needed.

The likely problem here is that the OP bought more than the "get by" standard.

floridaguy
Aviator C

No, the "likely problem" is that Southwest can't handle the baggage correctly.  That's the first and foremost issue.  The other are all secondary issues.

HoneyandPapaof6
Explorer C

This has been so frustrating.  I’ve been trying since Jan 2, and submitted multiple times, called, been disconnected, hold indefinitely and even left a voicemail at corporate. ZERO HELP ANYWHERE! 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Here's a proud moment for Southwest shareholders in the aftermath of the Holiday DISASTER.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/26/investing/southwest-loss-from-meltdown/index.html

dfwskier
Aviator A

@HoneyandPapaof6 wrote:

This has been so frustrating.  I’ve been trying since Jan 2, and submitted multiple times, called, been disconnected, hold indefinitely and even left a voicemail at corporate. ZERO HELP ANYWHERE! 

Others have reported that they were able to resolve the issue via twitter or facebook.

Have you tried either of those?