Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

NEVER USE Southwest Hotels

CmonSouthwest
Explorer C

Save yourself the headache, and never use Southwest Hotels.  I wish I would have read more of the discussions on this site before I booked my travel.  

In December, I booked and fully paid for a hotel through Southwest Hotels.  I selected a certain room type with a lake view and balcony for a four night spring break trip with my family.  I confirmed I selected the correct room type when I made the purchase.  Upon arrival at the hotel, we were given a different room type.  When I showed the hotel my receipt with the correct room type, they told me the hotel service booked the wrong room type, and all the other rooms of this type were booked.  The person at the hotel said hotel services booking the wrong rooms happens a lot.  I immediately called the Southwest Hotels Concierge service, who called the hotel and they basically told me the same thing as the hotel did - wrong room was booked and there are no room types that I paid for.  Since we did not have an option to go somewhere else, we were put in a smaller room with no balcony.  I spoke with the Southwest Hotels Concierge service about a refund/compensation for their mistake, and they assured me I would have an answer within 1-2 hours.  

1-2 hours later, I received an email saying they needed another 24-48 hours to "talk to their hotel partners".  Two days later, I get another emails saying they need another 24-48 hours.     I wait another 48 hours past their last time frame and still don't have a response, so I call again.  I am then promised an $80 credit for my time, plus they are still awaiting the credit from the hotel.  I said I booked the room through Southwest and I shouldn't have to continue to wait on hotel partners.  I was then told they have nothing to do with Southwest (even though it is the Southwest Hotels Concierge phone number), and they have to receive the information from their hotel partner.  I am told I will have an answer within 24-48 hours.  After 5 days, I receive an email that they are offering $19/night or $76 total.  I checked the price difference between the room I booked and fully paid for, and the room we were given, and it was $79/night plus 16%+ taxes, and fees.  For four nights, this is around a $370 price difference.

I again call and am told numerous times that "they" can only offer what their hotel partners offer and the $76 is all they can do.  They also said they will not give me the $80 credit for my time that was promised to me.  They said that shouldn't have been offered.  

Southwest, it is your name.  I have been a rapid rewards member and have used a Southwest credit card for many years.  This has been a horrible experience, and is making me question if I really want to continue to use Southwest and am seriously thinking about cancelling my credit card.  

Where is the customer service Southwest?  Take some responsibility for making a mistake.  In my job, I've learned to up the service I provide others.  Southwest it is time to up yours! 

12 REPLIES 12

Re: NEVER USE Southwest Hotels

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

It may say Southwest Hotels, but booking.com is the company that really is responsible.

If you did not get what you paid for, you can protest the credit card charge. The ability to do so is time limited -you must normally do so within 60 days   of the statement issue date on which the charge appears.

CmonSouthwest
Explorer C

Appreciate the response and input.  I will talk to my credit card company.  

floridaguy
Aviator C

I will agree with you that using "Southwest Hotels" is substandard.  One time I used "Southwest Vacations" and the outcome was not good.  I was compensated fairly when "Southwest Vacations" dropped the ball and I will never use them again.

Whatever you do, use a credit card and invoke your dispute rights.  If you have used a credit card for this transaction, you have a world of protection behind that credit card that most people are unaware.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

FYI... Southwest Hotels, Southwest Vacations, and Southwest Airlines are all different, unrelated companies.

--TheMiddleSeat

jksobonya
Aviator A

This seems strange, I use Southwest Hotels fairly often (twice in December alone) and have never not gotten the room type I selected.

But echoing what others said, Southwest Hotels is a partnership between Southwest and Booking.com. Despite many dragging this partnership through the mud, it's not as bad as they say once you understand the partnership. I'd argue the same with Southwest Vacations, which I have also used. 

--Jessica

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

Interesting thread. I've only had good success as well.

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

rich1954
Adventurer A

I never could understand why people use 3rd party sites instead of direct booking for hotels, flights, cruises and car rentals. Seems like it's just asking for a problem.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@rich1954 wrote:

I never could understand why people use 3rd party sites instead of direct booking for hotels, flights, cruises and car rentals. Seems like it's just asking for a problem.

Why?

Third party sites allow one to see the breadth of offerings instead of just one company's.

I can see all brands of hotels by looking at a 3rd party site, while if I look at the Marriott site, I can only see Marriott offerings. Same with car rental firms.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@rich1954 wrote:

In many cases - true. It IS often easier to book direct at the end of the day so you don't have to deal with a 3rd party, but if you aren't loyal to a particular hotel chain or property, 3rd party can sometimes give better offers, and direct vs 3rd party isn't as big of a deal.

--Jessica