Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Policy on missed connections (all are SW flights)

cbassett03
Explorer C

What is SW's policy if I miss a connecting flight (also a SW flight)?

I normally don't book connecting flights but with the destination I'm going to, the only option is to do a connecting flight.

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Policy on missed connections (all are SW flights)

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

The old "what if" game...  The simple answer is Southwest will do the best it can to get you on the next available flight.  Of course that depends on seats being available, which over the holidays could be a problem.  Factors such as reason for the delay will decide what other compensation you get such as meals or hotel.  As long as you are making the reservation as a single reservation and not two one-ways Southwest will do what it can to get you to your destination.  This is a good opportunity to suggest other trip delay insurance coverage which is available as a benefit on many credit cards including some by Chase and Capital1.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

Before buying any trip delay insurance or similar, read the entire policy including the fine print.

Most aren't worth a hoot.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I didn't suggest purchasing any insurance, rather look for coverage via a credit card and book flights with the credit card.

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I did not say that you did.  I simply said to read the policy before BUYING.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy since you love to tell me what to say, I'll share a suggestion with you if you don't want to confuse people about what you are suggesting.

Something like "Excellent idea from TheMiddleSeat about free coverage from a credit card. Alternatively, if you look at purchasing a policy, be sure to read the fine print before you do."

--TheMiddleSeat

cbassett03
Explorer C

With SW, I generally don't buy the insurance since I can cancel within 30 minutes of the flight if something comes up (for other airlines I do, where there is generally a penalty for cancelling unless I buy the insurance or pay extra for a refundable ticket).

My biggest concern here is not so much time for this trip, but rather having to pay for another ticket if I miss my connection because the flight was late getting into the airport.  I assume that in most cases, a changeover flight from one SW flight to another will just be a matter of walking to another gate generally in the same terminal/area (since i won't have checked bags).

cbassett03
Explorer C

Although I don't know if the short notice cancellation policy is still in place or not (I haven't flown on SW for 2 years and I Know they did make some changes to policies, but regardless, I generally don't buy the insurance, especially if the trip is cheaper since I tend to book everything -- rental car, flights and hotels -- separately and never as a package deal).

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@cbassett03 wrote:

Although I don't know if the short notice cancellation policy is still in place or not (I haven't flown on SW for 2 years and I Know they did make some changes to policies, but regardless, I generally don't buy the insurance, especially if the trip is cheaper since I tend to book everything -- rental car, flights and hotels -- separately and never as a package deal).

10 minutes prior to scheduled departure still applies.

But TL;DR from your original question: if Southwest is the cause of your delay, they will get you on the next option to your destination without paying for a ticket.

If you'd like to share your airports we can offer any suggestions about alternate routing, likelihood of finding another flight soon, etc. 

For instance I took a trip to Nassau recently - there's only one flight a day there. So if you miss that connection, you are going to be a day for the next one.

But MDW to DEN there are many flights a day, chances are good to go same day.

If you are nervous, try to build in a longer layover.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.