Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Southwest Lost My Luggage & I've Lost My Patience

MotherEve
Explorer C

It has been ONE MONTH since Southwest lost my luggage.  I am flew BEFORE the snowstorm of 12/22.  Lost. Like MIA. As in, "we have no idea where your bag is, lady." I've patiently done everything I've been instructed to do.  Saved receipts. Uploaded a detailed account of my luggage contents, and patiently (did I say patiently) awaited some semblance of reply.  Nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada.  Every time I call for some measure of update, I'm directed to a digital portal to start an email chat with customer service.

Seriously?

I know there is war, famine, occupation, and democracy in decline all around us.  But this is MY life. My best wardrobe, heirloom gifts of my mother for my daughters as Christmas presents were all in that bag.   

So I'm supposed to just, wait for it, wait?  Wait for a human response to a problem I had NO hand in creating?  

Do I go to the networks next?  

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Southwest Lost My Luggage & I've Lost My Patience

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Your best bet is to write, not call. That way you can be certain a case is opened and you will get updates. If you haven't writen, start there. Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page and send a message. 

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

Send the information though the bag report website which would be on your report (within 21 days of your bag being lost) once you submit it can take up to 30 days for them to respond 

you did file a report I hope at the baggage service office 

floridaguy
Aviator C

Would it take 30 days for Southwest to collect a fee for a ticket?  No.

There is no excuse for taking this long to resolve a claim.  Hire additional people, work double shifts, work weekends and nights.  In other words, provide the service to people that you promised and SHOULD HAVE done already.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy they could have legitimately lost the bag. But go ahead with your blah blah blah rant

--TheMiddleSeat

floridaguy
Aviator C

I am not certain how you "legitimately" lose a bag.  The intent is to deliver the bag to the passenger.  If you lose the bag, there is nothing "legitimate" about doing so.

While some on this board believe that Southwest can do no wrong, the events of recent weeks show otherwise.  

The couple of times that I did not receive my bag, I immediately filed a claim.  If the bag never turned up, then the claim was filed.  If it does, then so be it.

If, after a month, I had no resolution, I'd pursue other legal options.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@floridaguy once again with your fine "blah blah blah" analysis. Airlines lose bags, it happens. No one here claims Southwest does not lose bags or is otherwise perfect. It is not clear the OP filed a claim or is utilizing the best methods to follow up with Southwest. That's why while you were saying "blah blah blah" others were posting helpful suggestions that might assist the OP with their issue. If you choose to someday provide helpful information your comments will be welcome, until then please leave.

--TheMiddleSeat

Sibbiecat
Explorer C

This “The Middle Seat” guy just trolls every thread here singing SW’s praises, telling people how dumb they are for voicing any position against the company…he’s obviously on their payroll. Talk about useless information, LOL. 

Agreed. You can’t “legitimately” lose a bag. Its negligence: plain and simple. Unfortunately, SW goes beyond not caring, they intentionally do everything they can to get out of paying for losses they’ve caused. They lost my bag too. I went through all the protocol they required and they are still refusing to pay me. SW’s goal is not to make their customers whole after they’ve lost their bag….their intent is to bully you, intimidate you, place unrealistic expectations, and fail to communicate, in the ultimate hope of tiring you out so you’ll go away. So here is some useful information: know that you will have to pursue legal action against SW to get any movement out of them.  Their lost baggage claims process is not created to help its consumers—quite the opposite. 

bec102896
Aviator A

@floridaguy wrote:

Would it take 30 days for Southwest to collect a fee for a ticket?  No.

There is no excuse for taking this long to resolve a claim.  Hire additional people, work double shifts, work weekends and nights.  In other words, provide the service to people that you promised and SHOULD HAVE done already.

How is this response helpful? 

remember the Community User Guidelines  stay to be on topic and helpful 

floridaguy
Aviator C

There are too many stories going around about lost luggage.  This is beyond absurd.

If you cannot get Southwest to respond to your claim, consider other legal options.