Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Taking pc on a flight

Makana808
Explorer C

This may sound very dumb but has anyone ever tried it or know if it’s okay. I have a PC that does fit into a bag but I just want to know if okay to do so, it basically fits the requirements for a carry on. I don’t really want to spend a couple hundred shipping a pc from Hawaii to Las Vegas

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Taking pc on a flight

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sure, it will be fine

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Makana808 wrote:

This may sound very dumb but has anyone ever tried it or know if it’s okay. I have a PC that does fit into a bag but I just want to know if okay to do so, it basically fits the requirements for a carry on. I don’t really want to spend a couple hundred shipping a pc from Hawaii to Las Vegas

I brought a monitor on board in its shipping box.

If you can find a cheap carry on suitcase that fits it it will help lugging it through the airport.

Other than any questions TSA may have you should be fine, as far as Southwest is concerned it would be like any other carry on. (You'll still have to obey the two item limit one carry-on for the overhead and one for under the seat in front of you.)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Makana808 wrote:

Hello- I checked the TSA website and you should be good to go. Is the computer a desktop or tower PC? If so, when you go through the TSA Checkpoint, it should be taken out of the bag and placed separately through the x-ray machine regardless of PreCheck status.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/desktop-computers

Laptop computers are also to be taken out through standard TSA screening but may remain stowed through the PreCheck lane.

Travel safely!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@Makana808 wrote:

Laptop computers are also to be taken out through standard TSA screening but may remain stowed through the PreCheck lane.

Unless you have several! They don't like them stacked on each other even in PreCheck line.

Except at MCO when I requested a bin for them they ignored me and then eventually said to send it through as-is, then pull my bag and dig through it and try to get the computers back out to send them back through, then half-heartedly stuff everything back in there, give up, and eventually leave me a pile of luggage and computers to put back together. 

Maybe I knew this having just done the same thing earlier in the week. Anyway...

TL:DR - go ahead and ask for a bin if you have two or more laptops, it will save time if they give you one to lay them all out. I assume they may want to see the desktop computer separate as well - just ask them what to do.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I'm only responding to this because this actually happened to me on a flight and a good story.  Yes, you can take it on with you.  Now my story.  Let me preface, I'm an older gentleman, therefore, I don't keep up with the latest trends.  At a time when bigger was better, I had always intended to get a new laptop.  By the time I decided to pull the trigger, that bigger is better time had passed but found a great deal on a new one and my old one died. (forced to get one)  Well when the flight attendant started talking about using electronic devices, he made a shout out to those of us who still (lol, my was only a month old) had those dinosaur 4-pound large laptops', Yada yada yada.  I actually felt embarrassed and didn't pull it out like I had previously done.  I still have and use that laptop but never bring it out anymore due to this one flight attendant.  Yes, I guess I have issues, but they are self-implanted in my head on my own...but I still give SWA the love, only on a frustrated cell phone that makes me squint to see due to my limited vision.  

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

I'm only responding to this because this actually happened to me on a flight and a good story.  Yes, you can take it on with you.  Now my story.  Let me preface, I'm an older gentleman, therefore, I don't keep up with the latest trends.  At a time when bigger was better, I had always intended to get a new laptop.  By the time I decided to pull the trigger, that bigger is better time had passed but found a great deal on a new one and my old one died. (forced to get one)  Well when the flight attendant started talking about using electronic devices, he made a shout out to those of us who still (lol, my was only a month old) had those dinosaur 4-pound large laptops', Yada yada yada.  I actually felt embarrassed and didn't pull it out like I had previously done.  I still have and use that laptop but never bring it out anymore due to this one flight attendant.  Yes, I guess I have issues, but they are self-implanted in my head on my own...but I still give SWA the love, only on a frustrated cell phone that makes me squint to see due to my limited vision.  

The opposite - I had a Yoga 2-in-1 and when they said hey you have to put away your laptop I just grabbed it and yanked the screen around and voila, it's a tablet.