Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Temporary Drivers license

JosieKflower
Explorer C

My boyfriend just got his temporary license today for a change of address. But we leave on a Friday to travel with in the US. Would he be ok with just having his temporary license?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Temporary Drivers license

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

While a temp ID is not valid, that does not mean he cannot fly. 

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you choose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time.

--TheMiddleSeat

crystalvb1
Explorer C

Hi JosieKflower, 

I know this post is pretty old crossing my fingers you come across my message. Im in a similar situation and just wanted to know if the temporary license worked for your boyfriend to fly.

thanks!! 

zeh
Explorer C

This happened to me a few weeks ago as my renewed license had still not arrived in the mail after 7 weeks and I had spaced bringing my passport or global entry card. The TSA agent was understanding but still sternly asked if I had my expired drivers license or any other ID. I did have the expired one and he let me through (while also complaining about the mailing times for his own license). I hope this helps in some way.

dfwskier
Aviator A

People with no id (lost id) can clear TSA.

You'll be pulled out of line and asked questions that theoretically only you know the answer to.

Answer correctly and you'll pass.

Just allow additional time for this process to play out,

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Good information to know, I've often wondered what I would do should I lose my identification while on travel.  That came from a near situation of losing my driver's license (only form of ID) only to actually find it hidden deep in my carry-on bag after I dumped everything out near the ticket counter.  THANK YOU