Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Credits to LUV voucher processing.

brentgmyers
Explorer C

It all began last summer 2021 when we were planning a family vacation to Disney World in October 2021. I like to pre plan and we purchased our tickets in July of 2021. Covid numbers were declining and it looked like things were starting to improve. By September it was a new variant and outbreaks everywhere so we made the decision to post-pone. We received travel credit for our flights with the intention of using in early summer 2022. Again we rebook the trip and flights for May 2022. Due to unforeseen and unchangeable circumstances we had to post pone (AGAIN). This is already frustrating enough. Come to find out that our travel credit is only good for one year from the date of purchase 7/22/21 so expiration is 7/22/22.  So again we re-booked for September 2022.

There is of course the policy that travel credit can be requested to be extended in the way of a LUV voucher but $100 is deducted from each ticket and then you are allowed for 6 months of extended travel. I was told by Southwest customer service I had to wait until the expiration date to request processing into a LUV voucher. I called on 7/20/22 and Southwest customer service went ahead and processed my request for extension and I was very grateful. However I was then told it would take 45 days to process into a LUV voucher. Our travel is 9/16/22 . That is cutting it extremely close. By the time the voucher is processed I doubt that the flights will be available or that I won't have to pay several more hundred dollars to cover the remaining balance not covered by the travel credit.

So it has been 4 weeks and I called to see if there has been anything updated on the processing of our travel credit to LUV voucher. All that Southwest customer service can tell me is that it is "in queue". Not where or when it will be done . There is also no direct way to contact that department by phone or email per Southwest customer service.  All I want is the money I have already spent released to me so I may purchase our tickets for our planned travel. 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Travel Credits to LUV voucher processing.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@brentgmyers wrote:

There is of course the policy that travel credit can be requested to be extended in the way of a LUV voucher but $100 is deducted from each ticket and then you are allowed for 6 months of extended travel.

Actually, Southwest is waiving the $100 fee thru the end of 2022. That was announced sometime in the last month.

I was told by Southwest customer service I had to wait until the expiration date to request processing into a LUV voucher.

Actually, this has also changed in the last month. Expired TFs would need  to processed within 6 months of expiration date. Travel funds that have not yet expired will now never expire - they are good forever. -

I called on 7/20/22 and Southwest customer service went ahead and processed my request for extension and I was very grateful. However I was then told it would take 45 days to process into a LUV voucher. Our travel is 9/16/22 . That is cutting it extremely close. By the time the voucher is processed I doubt that the flights will be available or that I won't have to pay several more hundred dollars to cover the remaining balance not covered by the travel credit.

So it has been 4 weeks and I called to see if there has been anything updated on the processing of our travel credit to LUV voucher. All that Southwest customer service can tell me is that it is "in queue". Not where or when it will be done . There is also no direct way to contact that department by phone or email per Southwest customer service.  All I want is the money I have already spent released to me so I may purchase our tickets for our planned travel. 

Sorry, but if you were told 45 days, then you will need to wait up to 45 days.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Wow, bummer that your credits don't expire on or after 7/28/22 as those have automatically been extended.  As you said, your request is in queue and there is nothing beyond that that can be done.  Southwest is making these extensions as a gesture of goodwill and demanding them to act faster is overlooking that they could just say no extensions are available.  Since the credit you will receive will not expire once you convert it into a travel credit it might make sense for you to just book the trip you need to take now with cash and use the credits you are waiting for on a later trip.

--TheMiddleSeat 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Wow, bummer that your credits don't expire on or after 7/28/22 as those have automatically been extended.  As you said, your request is in queue and there is nothing beyond that that can be done.  Southwest is making these extensions as a gesture of goodwill and demanding them to act faster is overlooking that they could just say no extensions are available.  Since the credit you will receive will not expire once you convert it into a travel credit it might make sense for you to just book the trip you need to take now with cash and use the credits you are waiting for on a later trip.

--TheMiddleSeat 

If you are finding good fares now, I'd book it and just save the vouchers when you get them.

Remember the vouchers expire also, so if you don't fly by their expiration then you'll need to make some booking and cancel to get them converted to Travel Credits, which now don't expire.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

brentgmyers
Explorer C

Update our vouchers arrived and we were able to book our flights. Thankful for processing to come thru.