Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Travel Funds Removed From Account

DoubleK
Explorer C

Without my consent or initiation, Southwest removed over $1000 in travel funds from my account.  I've called in multiple times, sent emails, and filed complaints.  Their response is that they refunded them over a month ago to my credit card.  They were never refunded and my credit card company shows no record of a transaction.  I've tried multiple times to escalate this with Southwest and no one has ever been able to help.  Anyone have a suggestion?  Do I need to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau or pursue legal action?  At this point, it's just been total incompetence from Southwest.

14 REPLIES 14

Re: Travel Funds Removed From Account

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Based on what reason were they supposedly refunded?  That is not typical

--TheMiddleSeat

DoubleK
Explorer C

They never provided a reason why the funds were removed from the account.

floridaguy
Aviator C

Travel funds are considered personal property, like cash in an account.

If you have documentation that the funds were there, then missing, send a letter to Southwest's Legal Department and present your evidence.

DoubleK
Explorer C

Southwest has acknowledged that the funds were there.  They've also acknowledged that the funds were removed by them, without my prompting.  I've tried to avoid legal action, but at this point, it seems like that's the next step.

bec102896
Aviator A

maybe your travel funds expired before the no expiration policy took effect. 

DoubleK
Explorer C

Travel funds shouldn't expire.  They're not promotional items.  It was real money that was paid for flights that didn't occur in spring of 2020, due to COVID.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@DoubleK wrote:

Travel funds shouldn't expire.  They're not promotional items.  It was real money that was paid for flights that didn't occur in spring of 2020, due to COVID.

People that bought WGA tickets before the rules changes agreed to terms in which in certain circumstances the travel funds would expire. No one forced people to buy those tickets.

That's all that really "legally" matters.

DoubleK
Explorer C

They didn't expire.  They were "refunded", just not to my credit card.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

maybe your travel funds expired before the no expiration policy took effect. 

Sounds like the most likely explanation to me. The airline doesn't just go about deleting funds willy nilly.