Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Suggestion: announce how full the flight is at the gate when starting to board.

2O1OO
Explorer C

Knowing how full a flight is is very helpful to all passengers: if I know the flight is full, I don't feel bad going for a middle seat in the front rows because they're going to be taken anyway, whereas if I know it's empty, I'd go for my own row in the back (and help distribute weight in the process)

Many people do the same but the process for this is inefficient:

- many people ask the flight attendant in front when they get in

- very often, flight attendants will make announcements that the flight is full or that it's half empty and people can get their own row in the back, but no matter how many times they say it, they're gonna miss people since only the 5-10 people who are getting in at that time will hear it, so it's inefficient.

This could be easily solved if the gate agent was telling people (or maybe each boarding group) how full the flight ("about 70% full") is with simple guidance on where they can seat:

- flight is full, all/almost all seats will be taken

- everyone should be able to get an aisle or window seat

- everyone can get their own row

Thx

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Suggestion: announce how full the flight is at the gate when starting to board.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@2O1OO wrote:

Knowing how full a flight is is very helpful to all passengers: if I know the flight is full, I don't feel bad going for a middle seat in the front rows because they're going to be taken anyway, whereas if I know it's empty, I'd go for my own row in the back (and help distribute weight in the process)

- very often, flight attendants will make announcements that the flight is full or that it's half empty and people can get their own row in the back, but no matter how many times they say it, they're gonna miss people since only the 5-10 people who are getting in at that time will hear it, so it's inefficient.

This could be easily solved if the gate agent was telling people (or maybe each boarding group) how full the flight ("about 70% full") is with simple guidance on where they can seat:

Thx

Hello! Good suggestion. I would forward your request directly to Southwest so that it can be processed as this forum is customer-to-customer:
https://www.southwest.com/html/contact-us/

I've found that approx. 75% of the time, the gate agent will announce how full the flight would be but I wouldn't mind if that's part of Standard Protocol and announced every time. Usually the Gate Agent will need to announce if the following is true:

1. If the flight is full and there's a low volume of passengers checking bags which may signal that the Late B and C-Group customers waiting at the gate may not have overhead bin space once they board; they are made aware that they can and should voluntarily gate check their carry-on bag to their final destination for free.

2. If the flight is only partially full, customers are usually made aware at the gate that they should spread out throughout the plane to balance the weight of the plane but this is one area that I don't hear announced all the time to your suggestion. 

Some airports also use Southwest's innovative status monitors which also show how full the flight is. I wouldn't mind this feature being rolled out system-wide or available on the SW phone app when one looks up the flight status:

PDX-SJC (Full):

20230622_061045EDIT.jpg

OAK-SAN (75% Full):

20230707_143314.jpg

PHX-SAN (95% Full):

20230929_151042_Crop.jpg

For now, I would forward your suggestion directly to Southwest so they can process it. Whenever you fly and need to know the status, I would ask the Gate Agent personally about the status after they do the general rules/announcements but don't mention how full the flight is.

Re: Suggestion: announce how full the flight is at the gate when starting to board.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@2O1OO wrote:

Thx

I've found that approx. 75% of the time, the gate agent will announce how full the flight would be but I wouldn't mind if that's part of Standard Protocol and announced every time. Usually the Gate Agent will need to announce if the following is true:

I think they are more likely to announce the passenger load when it is full, if its empty there isn't a lot of concern (there's plenty of room, boarding should go quickly, lots of aisle and window seats available, etc.)

Unless as you mention it is so empty that the FA want people to spread out for weight and to share the service sections.

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@2O1OO wrote:

PDX-SJC (Full):

20230622_061045EDIT.jpg

OAK-SAN (75% Full):

20230707_143314.jpg

PHX-SAN (95% Full):

20230929_151042_Crop.jpg

Hopefully these will gradually make it out to all locations.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

jksobonya
Aviator A

In my experience they nearly always announce how full the flight is as we get close to boarding - I always pay attention because then I wonder if I will get "lucky" and have an empty middle seat in a row that I'm in 😄 

--Jessica

2O1OO
Explorer C

Will suggest it to SW directly. I love the idea of showing this in the app!

I'v also had gate agents mention when the flight is full and they encourage people to free check in or if people need to spread for load balance, but out of 96 flights last year, that may have happened less than 10 times, so more the exception than the rule in my experience. Might just be dependent on the airport...

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

Sometimes the FAs do inside plane

floridaguy
Aviator C

If you announce a full flight at the gate, you will encourage a rush of everyone wanting to preboard.

Best to figure it out after preboarding.