Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Congrats to our 2023 ¡Lánzate!/Take Off! Higher Education Travel Award Recipients!


Lanzate Scholarship V1@4x (3).png



“I owe a lot to my parents. I was able to provide tickets for my parents to come to my graduation. That’s the reason why I connect Southwest Airlines with home – bringing me home but also bringing home to me.” -2022 ¡Lánzate!/Take Off! Higher Education Travel Award recipient 


Southwest Airlines believes educated communities are empowered communities and that every student should have the opportunity to pursue their educational dreams. Through our nationally recognized initiative, the ¡Lánzate!/Take Off! Higher Education Travel Award Program, Southwest partners with the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU) to help Hispanic students stay connected with their loved ones while pursuing higher education. Southwest has helped alleviate the financial burden of travel for over 1,500 students since the travel award program began in 2004.


For 2023, 185 students were selected for the ¡Lánzate!/Take Off! Higher Education Travel Award! These deserving students are comprised of Hispanic students currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a two- or four-year college or university at least 200 miles from their home. Recipients receive four round trip tickets valid for travel between any Southwest Airlines domestic destination. 


This year’s recipients were selected from over 85 institutions across the United States. Around 70 percent of the recipients are pursuing undergraduate degrees, including biology, engineering, psychology, and political science. The remaining 30 percent of recipients are graduate students on their way to becoming lawyers, doctors, veterinarians, and more.


HACU represents more than 500 colleges and universities and manages numerous programs committed to Hispanic higher education success, including internships, scholarships, college retention and advancement programs, pre-collegiate support, and career development opportunities.


Through scholarships, internships, and STEM-focused learning, Southwest is committed to helping students’ dreams take flight!