Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Can people reserve seats on these flights?

residentx
Explorer C

I was on a flight from Seattle. I met a woman who was holding 2 seats for her friends who were in the c group. I didn't say anything at the time but I thought the terms of service was that all seats are first come first serve. What is the best way to handle this in the future? I felt what she was doing was wrong.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Can people reserve seats on these flights?

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Unfortunately, Southwest allows this. They say "they have no policy for or against seat saving." So, while claiming it's "open seating," they also allow people to save seats. They ask that passengers "work it out among themselves." This means that while someone is allowed to save a seat, someone else is allowed to take that seat from them should they wish.

In practice, the rudest person wins.

Southwest has stated repeatedly that they have no intention of changing anything regarding their boarding system.

goforwand
Explorer C

This policy is a complete joke....I saw this recently happen to a passenger boarding in Business Select trying to get an exit row window seat (he was right behind me) and the person sitting in the exit row isle said the 2 seats remaining were "saved"..really? 

The flight attendant right behind the exit row heard it all and couldn't do a thing.....she was rolling her eyes...welcome to the unwashed masses of modern air travel 😞

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Screen Shot 2017-06-26 at 5.23.49 PM.png

analuz
Explorer C

During check-in there have been times when I get a A/B spot but other family members have had C spots. I appreciate the ability to save a seat and be able to sit with family. Given that there are no assigned seats, this is a good alternative. Early check-in is an option to ensure getting an A spot.

A.D.

Lisgib20
Explorer C

I’m late to this convo, but whatever. Some very easy fixes for this that don’t include being selfish:

1. Check in at the same time.

2. Pay for early checkin for your spouse.

also, you are not guaranteed to sit next to your family on any other flight either.  Your failure to properly plan your trip does not mean that other people should pay for it, which is what the seat “reserving” does. But, that is our world today, a bunch of selfish people that think they are the most important people in the world.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

While I tend to agree that there are many people these days who seem to lack an understanding that other people also exist, to be fair, Southwest allows seat saving. The easiest "fix" would be for Southwest to ban the practice in the first place.

Sgmilkman
Explorer C

Saving seats is not prohibited. Whether this is right or wrong in any passenger’s view is typically aligned with whether they want to save a seat for a spouse/family member, or whether they think they should get to pick a seat that someone else is saving.  Personally I am fine with the policy and would choose a different airline if I couldn’t be reasonably sure I could sit with my spouse. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I think most people have no problem with someone saving a seat for a family member or friend. But more frequently I'm seeing people try to save whole rows or more, or "prime" seats in the exit row. Unfortunately, with the current "non-policy" that's totally allowed. I think this is a problem.

rtbarron
Frequent Flyer A

@chgoflyer wrote:

I think most people have no problem with someone saving a seat for a family member or friend. But more frequently I'm seeing people try to save whole rows or more, or "prime" seats in the exit row. Unfortunately, with the current "non-policy" that's totally allowed. I think this is a problem.

I agree with you. I don't see anything wrong with a passenger saving the other two seats on his side of a row, but one passenger saving an entire row is a little much.

And given that the overwing exit rows are really the only seats that can be called "premium" on a plane with 143+ otherwise identical economy seats, they should be first come, first served with no saving. This problem could be easily fixed on origination flights by giving the Operations Agent a rubber stamp that says "EXIT" and stamping the boarding passes of the first six/twelve people in line (not including pre-boarders obviously) who are "willing and able" to assist in the event of an evacuation. This is a cheap and fair solution that doesn't require a lot of added expense on Southwest's part.