Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Delayed flight and missed connections

ramiller92
Explorer C

I have a flight that is delayed by over an hour and will mean that I will miss my connection flight and will have to rebook on the next one for almost 6 hours later.

Not only did I pay for Early bird check in for the original connection but I also upgraded my boarding position. Will this be reflected on the new connecting flight? What do I do?

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Delayed flight and missed connections

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@ramiller92 wrote:

I have a flight that is delayed by over an hour and will mean that I will miss my connection flight and will have to rebook on the next one for almost 6 hours later.

Not only did I pay for Early bird check in for the original connection but I also upgraded my boarding position. Will this be reflected on the new connecting flight? What do I do?

Greetings!

By rule, EBCI transfers to a changed flight only if the new flight departs more than 25 hours from the time of the change. Upgraded Boarding does not transfer. Also by rule, these are not refundable but the delay appears to be beyond your control which means the refund rule could have an exception in your case.

Assuming you're currently at the layover airport now; I would go to a Southwest Customer Service Agent at any Southwest Gate airside or at the landside Check-In counter and describe that your original booking had these upgrades attached to your connecting flight which could not be used due to the delay and resulting missed connection. 

They should be able to grant you an exception to the no-refund policy and issue a refund for both; however the refund would need to be requested. When you request your refund, describe clearly that you were not able to use these benefits due a missed connection from a delay. After they process the refund, I would also ask the rep if there's any remaining A1-15 spots available for your newly booked flight; if so, you should be able to re-purchase the Upgraded Boarding perk directly from the rep. Note that the refund will take a few days to post.

If you get this reply but are not at the airport and have no access to a SW Rep, I would give SW Customer Service a call.
https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/More-phone-numbers-contact-options

Re: Delayed flight and missed connections

epcot
Adventurer B

They should be able to grant you an exception to the no-refund policy and issue a refund for both; however the refund would need to be requested. 

Refunds for EBCI are now within policy for situations that are not within the customer's control. It should auto-refund within 7 days, but if not the updated policy is here and one can reach out for a refund https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/If-Southwest-Airlines-cancels-my-flight-will-I-ge...

For A1-A15 Upgraded Boarding, a refund must be proactively requested https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/Upgraded-Boarding