Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Lost Status & Drink Tickets

Gmoon
Explorer C

Recently retired and after years flying A+ Preferred have arrived at no status just points. A couple of questions...

1. On a recent April flight I tried to use one of my paper drink tickets not noticing it expired in 12/31/23. Flight attendant allowed it but said all new tickets are issued in the app. Is there anyway to convert old drink tickets to electronic??

2. Now that I have to physically do 24hr check in or purchase EB is it best to check in via the app (phone/ipad) or online via computer to get the best position?  Also any way to get EB via points or flight credits??

TIA...

1 REPLY 1

Re: Lost Status & Drink Tickets

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@Gmoon wrote:

Recently retired and after years flying A+ Preferred have arrived at no status just points. A couple of questions...

1. On a recent April flight I tried to use one of my paper drink tickets not noticing it expired in 12/31/23. Flight attendant allowed it but said all new tickets are issued in the app. Is there anyway to convert old drink tickets to electronic??

2. Now that I have to physically do 24hr check in or purchase EB is it best to check in via the app (phone/ipad) or online via computer to get the best position?  Also any way to get EB via points or flight credits??

TIA...

Greetings!

Re Drink Coupons, Southwest is utilizing Digital Coupons: Here is the policy:

If you elect to use a mobile boarding pass and have purchased a Business Select fare or are an A-List Preferred Member, your drink coupon eligibility will be noted on the mobile boarding pass. To receive your complimentary premium drink during your flight, simply show the drink coupon portion of your mobile boarding pass to the Flight Attendant for validation. Note that this is only applicable for flights over 175 miles.

Be sure to save a copy of your mobile boarding pass to your mobile device prior to takeoff so you can easily retrieve it during your flight.

A physical boarding pass may be shown onboard to demonstrate A-List Preferred status and premium drink eligibility.

Coupon is invalid after expiration date and will not be updated or replaced.

https://www.southwest.com/food-and-beverage/

It appears the FA was kind to grant you an exception to redeem an old coupon but as the rule, old and expired coupons are generally not valid. If you have an old coupon, I would be prepared to pay for the drink but bring the coupon and ask the FA gently while ordering, "I have an old paper coupon; any chance I can redeem it?" Be prepared and accept the response if they say "No". If they say, "Yes", another kudos to them for the exception.

Re Check In: Before I got A-List, I would book my flights with the WGA+ fare so that I had the Same Day Confirmed Flight Change benefit. I did not use EBCI as I had the ability to check in at 24 hours; if I still got a back-in-the-B position or worse and knew I would not need to use the Same Day Change benefit on travel day, I would buy Upgraded Boarding at that point as usually some A1-15 slots are available at the 24-hour mark, even for full flights. 

Note that both Upgraded Boarding and EBCI are paid via credit/debit card only (not payable by points, flight credits, or gift cards). EBCI basically automates the check-in process for you and you will get a better boarding position than people who check themselves in at the 24 hour mark. That being said, EBCI has no guarantee for an "A" position and possibly a back-in-the-B. If you get a mid-B or better position by checking in either way, you should be able to still get a decent Aisle or Window toward the back of the plane.

Hope this helps!