Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

SAN to CMH direct nonstop suddenly ends in June?

cheesequake
Explorer C

Hey all, I am hoping to book a direct flight from San Diego to Columbus on Aug 22, returning Aug 26, but it appears non-stop flights for this route end in June. Will more be added, or should I resign myself to booking flights with connections now? Thanks for your input!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: SAN to CMH direct nonstop suddenly ends in June?

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@cheesequake wrote:

Hey all, I am hoping to book a direct flight from San Diego to Columbus on Aug 22, returning Aug 26, but it appears non-stop flights for this route end in June. Will more be added, or should I resign myself to booking flights with connections now? Thanks for your input!

Greetings fellow SAN traveler! SAN is my primary origin airport and I fly out from there very frequently. I've been following the construction progress of our New T1!

20240424_105208.jpg

To answer your question, I believe the non-stop option you describe will be on a hiatus starting this summer as Southwest's fleet comprises of Boeing 737's. Unfortunately, some issues related to Boeing this year (you may have heard all the negative press all over the news) have held up the shipment of new SW Boeing planes that were to replace the fleets that were scheduled to be phased out and retired. Boeing is currently under a close watch from both the government and the general public to ensure their newly manufactured 737's (and their entire product line) are thoroughly checked before they get certified to go into operation so we don't end up with broken planes that appear to be okay ending up on the field going forward. As a result, that has led to some direct routes being suspended until the planes can be delivered to service the routes. I assume that has impacted the nonstop's from SAN which includes the route to CMH. 

It doesn't hurt to let Southwest Customer Service know of your remarks so that they can consider reinstating the non-stop option once the hold up of the 737's is resolved and delivered. I would email or send a DM request via Twitter/X:
https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Hope this helps.

cheesequake
Explorer C

Thanks for that! I've just messaged them on Twitter and will report back.

cheesequake
Explorer C

SWA response on Twitter: "We do not currently plan on adding any additional flights to the already published schedule. We're sorry for any inconvenience this causes, but we hope to still be a part of your travel plans!"