Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Typical Hours for newly hired Ramp Agent in Austin Texas

smeralda05
Explorer C

Hello everyone ! 

I recently just got hired in for a Ramp Agent in Austin Texas. I am currently in the hiring process doing my drug test, fingerprints and background check.  I would just like to ask if anyone here knows that the typical or usual hour are for a ramp agent here in Austin Texas? What time does a shift start and end typically?

Reason I ask is because I am worried working early mornings due to having to drop my kids to school and daycare. I've been seeing in the other conversations in the forum that morning start at 4:30am. I know that as new hires we do not have any control to choose our availability due to seniority and we get what they give us. Will it be possible to request for an afternoon shift just so I have enough time to drop my kids to daycare and school?

Has anybody here been in this situation? Any help or advice is appreciated. Thank you !

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Typical Hours for newly hired Ramp Agent in Austin Texas

StevenBarnett19
Adventurer C
Solution

@smeralda05 

Senior Agents (ramp, ops or csa) perfer morning shift. Senior Agents also perfer weekends off. So, new hires are more likely to work a PM shift and Sat/Sun.

But, during training, you'll prob be partnered with a Senior Agent, and there's a good chance, your first few weeks will be mornings. 

Truly, there's no right answer to your question. I'd recommend, you get someone lined-up, to take your children for you (plan for the worst and hope for the best). 

Congrats on getting selected!!!

smeralda05
Explorer C

Thank you so much for the info ! I'm excited to get started on my training  and start putting in the work. I will most likely put my kids in daycare when I get the morning shifts for the first few weeks of training. 

(Hoping everything works out and hoping for the best !) 

bec102896
Aviator A

@smeralda05 wrote:

Thank you so much for the info ! I'm excited to get started on my training  and start putting in the work. I will most likely put my kids in daycare when I get the morning shifts for the first few weeks of training. 

(Hoping everything works out and hoping for the best !) 

Kind of off topic but do you Need any childcare recommendations in ATX? 

smeralda05
Explorer C

Hi yes sure I'm open to any child care recommendations. I stay in northern part of Austin.  I've been looking around and found a few daycares around my area the earliest that opens is 7:30am. 

bec102896
Aviator A

Have you looked in to the Goddard school? Or primrose academy. You might also look in Cedar Park/Leander/Round Rock/Georgetown I know childcare has gotten expensive lately 

if you need any suggestions you can always DM me that way I don’t derail your original post (I live in Austin as well) 

earmenta
Explorer C

I'm currently doing my background / fingerprinting too!  How far along in the hiring process are you?  

smeralda05
Explorer C

I actually have a start date given to me but as far as the schedule for the OJT training i was told that itll be given to me on my first day. Are you also in Austin?