Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Experience with transport wheelchair

Trvlgrl
Explorer C

We have a direct flight the end of the month to MCO.  My father can walk but we are considering bringing his small foldable transport wheelchair to get through the airport as he is in remission from cancer.    Just wondering if anyone has any experience they can share using a transport wheelchair?  I want to check it at the gate but not sure where it will be stowed and how to get it once we arrive at our destination.  Also, what about taking it through security?  Not sure if we should take our own wheelchair or just request wheelchair assistance from SW.  Anyone have a similar experience they can share, I would appreciate it. 

Thank you

1 REPLY 1

Re: Experience with transport wheelchair

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Trvlgrl wrote:

We have a direct flight the end of the month to MCO.  My father can walk but we are considering bringing his small foldable transport wheelchair to get through the airport as he is in remission from cancer.    Just wondering if anyone has any experience they can share using a transport wheelchair?  I want to check it at the gate but not sure where it will be stowed and how to get it once we arrive at our destination.  Also, what about taking it through security?  Not sure if we should take our own wheelchair or just request wheelchair assistance from SW.  Anyone have a similar experience they can share, I would appreciate it. 

Thank you

Hello! Southwest and TSA have some nice FAQ's that outlines this:

https://www.southwest.com/help/accessible-travel-assistance/wheelchairs-and-other-devices

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/tsa-cares/disabilities-and-medical-conditions

Long story short, you can bring a wheelchair through TSA (The agent will explain what inspections will be needed which will likely include a physical search of the cushions), it can either be gate-checked or stowed in the cabin if it can be safely stowed. If checked, it will go in the cargo area. Once at your destination and if the wheelchair is checked, you can ask the Gate Agent or Flight Attendants to have your wheelchair brought to the jet bridge area.