Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

How do you travel as deaf/Hard of hearing (HOH)?

cjbetty
Explorer C

I want to know how other deaf/HOH persons do it to fly alone. I have been flying alone for a long time but just recently diagnosed with profound hearing loss and still not fluent in sign language. The in-flight announcements are not something I can hear and that is what makes me the most anxious and scared. Thankfully nothing has happened yet but I would love to be able to know what is going on whenever there are announcements in the plane.  Same thing in the airport, it is very difficult for me to hear announcements especially when boarding and it makes me feel overwhelmed a bit. This last flight I asked to preboard as I almost missed my flight prior to that. The amount of people giving me dagger eyes made me more anxious since I am sure they assumed I was fine and didn't need additional help. I haven't found better options for myself just yet and appreciate any ideas or ways to make my trips better as I travel almost every two weeks. 

(One thing I did learn was to sit all the way in the back. Let the flight attendants know you are deaf/HOH and this way you are closest to them and to an exit.) 

1 REPLY 1

Re: How do you travel as deaf/Hard of hearing (HOH)?

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@cjbetty wrote:

I want to know how other deaf/HOH persons do it to fly alone. I have been flying alone for a long time but just recently diagnosed with profound hearing loss and still not fluent in sign language. The in-flight announcements are not something I can hear and that is what makes me the most anxious and scared. Thankfully nothing has happened yet but I would love to be able to know what is going on whenever there are announcements in the plane.  Same thing in the airport, it is very difficult for me to hear announcements especially when boarding and it makes me feel overwhelmed a bit. This last flight I asked to preboard as I almost missed my flight prior to that. The amount of people giving me dagger eyes made me more anxious since I am sure they assumed I was fine and didn't need additional help. I haven't found better options for myself just yet and appreciate any ideas or ways to make my trips better as I travel almost every two weeks. 

(One thing I did learn was to sit all the way in the back. Let the flight attendants know you are deaf/HOH and this way you are closest to them and to an exit.) 

Hello!

Sorry to hear the other passengers rushing to judgement and not understanding your needs. You may qualify for accessible travel assistance through Southwest which should help remedy this.

Southwest has a helpful page on this subject:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/I-need-another-type-of-disability-related-assista...

I would put a note on your reservation of your hard-of-hearing/hearing loss diagnosis and when you arrive at the airport (for departure, connections if required, and arrival), notify a SW customer agent at the check-in or gate counter and the type of assistance needed.

A few other points quoting from SW's help document:

For those who are deaf or hard of hearing, we will establish alternate methods of communication with you upon request in the airport and onboard so you can receive prompt access to the same information provided to others (e.g., boarding and baggage claim information, flight disruption information, flight safety information, etc.).  

We don't provide custodial care. If this type of care is needed during the flight, consider traveling with a ticketed caregiver or personal care attendant. 

Hope this helps!