Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Stroller and Car Seat

Roofuss
Explorer C

Hi,

I will be traveling with my family in August and we will have a 2.5 yr old with us.

Is it correct that a stroller and car seat can be checked for free in addition to the baggage allowance? And are there any dimensions for the car seat?

Thank you

1 REPLY 1

Re: Stroller and Car Seat

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Roofuss wrote:

Hi,

I will be traveling with my family in August and we will have a 2.5 yr old with us.

Is it correct that a stroller and car seat can be checked for free in addition to the baggage allowance? And are there any dimensions for the car seat?

Thank you

Hello!

Hope you have a great flight with your little one. Southwest has an informative page published that should help you out:
https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Traveling-with-Little-Ones-The-Logistics/ta-p/9123...

Here's the policy as written:

• Customers with children are allowed to check one stroller and one car seat without charge. This allowance applies to any type of stroller and/or car seat and is in addition to the regular baggage allowance.
  • Customers may check the stroller and car seat at the curb, ticket counter, or gate. If you opt to gate check, you’ll need to get tags with an Agent at the Customer Service desk working your gate.
  • An optional Southwest reusable car seat/stroller bag is available for purchase at any Southwest Airlines ticket counter for $17.

That means you may check check both in addition to your baggage allowance.

Regarding car seat size limitations, SW does not have this defined. If you plan on checking it as you mentioned in your post, this shouldn't be an issue.

A few side notes to further help your travel:

Two adults traveling with your child may board during Family Boarding if your party doesn't get an "A" position. This occurs after the "A" Group boards and before the "B" Group. This will help ensure the child will have an adult family member sitting with them. Also, the restroom located in the front of the plane has a diaper changing station if needed.

Safe Travels!