Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is there a Southwest check-in right at internatinal arrivals at O'Hare?

tgsa01
Explorer C

Will arrive from Tokyo on ANA at O'Hare early next month and need to check in my suitcases on Southwest for Tampa. Is there a Southwest check in area straight after Immigration and Customs? Cannot do bag drop off as two separate tickets. 

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Is there a Southwest check-in right at internatinal arrivals at O'Hare?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@tgsa01 wrote:

Will arrive from Tokyo on ANA at O'Hare early next month and need to check in my suitcases on Southwest for Tampa. Is there a Southwest check in area straight after Immigration and Customs? Cannot do bag drop off as two separate tickets. 

Greetings:

ORD's official website has some helpful information on international arrivals and it appears the answer to your questions is 'no'.

https://www.flychicago.com/ohare/myflight/international/pages/default.aspx

According to their website, once you have arrived at ORD from Tokyo gone through the CBP Border Inspection Station (or if the flight has been pre-cleared and you claim your baggage in the terminal's domestic baggage claim area), passengers not flying with United Airlines or American Airlines for their connecting flight will need to take their luggage with them upon exiting the International Terminal 5 and recheck it with their airline in advance of their domestic connection.

In your case, it appears that you'll need to bring your bags when you leave the International Terminal, go to the Southwest Terminal, and stop at the Southwest Check-In counter to re-check before continuing. 

Travel Tip: If your international leg is not pre-cleared and if you don't have Global Entry and concerned the border wait at ORD may be long, I would explore Mobile Passport Control and see if you're eligible to enroll in that as ORD participates in this program; that will help speed up the process through CBP:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/mobile-passport-control

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Luckily Southwest is in the ORD International Terminal 5 so it will just be taking the bags from CBP downstairs to Southwest’s ticket counter upstairs.

Preclearance would complicate the situation actually since then the United flight will come to Terminal 1 instead of T5. I’d check the current flights to see where they are landing.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@tgsa01 wrote:

If you can confirm that ANA will deplane in Terminal 5 then the Southwest counter is also in Terminal 5 you’ll just have to make your way upstairs to the ticket desk.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.