Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

3 first time flyers, autism, and preboard.

LaurieAnne
Explorer B

Hi. Short info to help explain what I need to know.

The hope is for me, mom, and 3 kids to fly GEG to SNA in July.  The issue, 15 yr old is high function autistic,  13 yr old is adhd,odd,  and the 11 yr old is very anxious and wants window seat away from strangers. 

Since all are over 6 family board is not a option I know. I know I could probably get preboard for the older 2 , 1 with me and 1 with grams to guard. But that leaves my anxious 11 yr old boarding alone and God knows where. 

If we get EB we'd likely get to board together but if we get a later group I may not find 5 seats together.  My mom also has never flown. I've follownnonce and did not have a great experience with southwest so am nervous as is. But to be affordable  I can't afford BS or better airlines

I've seen mixed stuff as when prevoard happens... before BS or between A and B which I knownwould for certain leave us with no seats together.   

We don't want special seats or front. Happy middle of plane.  Youngest insist on window to be squished in. Oldest wants middle with me beside her. Middle kid wants to sit at window with grams. 

What are my options? How do I keep my family together and keep down the anxiety without having to spend more on BS than I would on delta main cabin? I've contacted SWA and just get cookie cutter answers of family board and preboard. But no one's says youngest can board with us and not be left alone. I don't wanna ask people to move or to save seats. Just want to be together 

11 REPLIES 11

Re: 3 first time flyers, autism, and preboard.

Munsingerjc
Adventurer C

Hey there! 

I totally understand the anxiousness with doing this, but I promise you it is going to be ok! I know a lot of people have had some bad experiences, but there has to be something that makes people keep going back ;). 

The earlier you purchase Early Bird (EB) checkin, the better the seats you will get! So I think that purchasing now for July should guarantee you guys to sit next to each other! I traveled with a group of 6 without EB and we were the end of B, but still we're able to sit together! And then even after you checkin, if you dont get good enough boarding positions, there are always options to pay a little extra for A1-15 after the checkin process! But for now, I would honestly think that early bird should suffice given your circumstances! I swear by early bird for all flights and just build it into the cost of the airfare! I hope this helps or atleast helps calm nerves! let me know if you have any other questions!!

Home airport, DEN. Frequent flyer to SNA. Travel Agent. 

LaurieAnne
Explorer B

Yeah since our return flight check in would be difficult to hit the 24 hr mark. EB is a must.  But I did EB 3 mo put from trip and was in A34ish . Wasn't bad and found seats together for 2 but for 5 I don't see that happening. Not to mention the broken down duck taped plane we waited 4 hrs for and decided to not get on.... I'm honestly scared to fly SW again.  I wouldn't be able to purchase tickets toll at least Feb if we do so that makes it less likely being together too.

Munsingerjc
Adventurer C

Hello again!

Yah I completely understand! It is such a game of luck with southwest haha, but for me, all the other perks and quality service make it a much better experience than other airlines in my opinion! I know you stated that you didn't want to pay a ton for bigger airlines, so are "settling" for southwest. I did Want to let you know that there are many other budget-friendly airlines other than southwest! Airlines such as frontier, spirit, Alaska, allegiant, jet blue are much more affordable and may be worth looking into if you don't trust southwest. Although, I do hope you give Southwest another shot as everyone deserves a second chance, right? I hope this helps and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas and regardless of the airline, I hope you have safe travels! 😉

Home airport, DEN. Frequent flier to SNA. Travel Agent.

LaurieAnne
Explorer B

Where I'm at, Alaska,  SwA , delta, American and united are all we get. And from the math I've done, SW is cheapest but delta is just about the same or cheaper if not doing BS or anytime fares. And I have to dopricerier Main if I want to be certain to choose seats together on any other. Can't do the lowest because it's a luck of the draw to be together 

dfwskier
Aviator A

Actully, If I were you, I would go for pre boarding. The 11 year old qualifies, IMO. Why? Well one of the rules is the someone has a disability that requires a specific seat. He does: a seat not next to a stranger. There is no rule that says that 2 people needing to pre board can't be accompanied by one other person. Just tell the gate attendant that you have 2 children that need to reboard.

LaurieAnne
Explorer B

I'm not sure they'd accept preboard for all 3 though. Which would still leave a kid behind. The 13 yr old is adhd and odd, meaning he cannot be without an adult present to keep him busy and in line. The autistic 15 yr old will cling to my arm in unknown situations.  As will the anxious 11 yr old. I'm pretty sure if I ask to preboard 3 kids with 2 adults to keep the kids sane.. they will say no. 

On top of that, preboard is between A and B right? By then there are no seats together for all because all of A group would've boarded and filled them. 

As well as I have no documentation for youngest just being socially anxious. No way to prove what she needs. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

By federal law, you do not have to prove a need to pre board. You just have to declare you have a need. One adult can board with 2 kids - one of which is the 11 year old. The second adult can board with the third child. Again federal law says the airline CANNOT deny your request to pre board.

Pre board is before anyone else boards -- even A group.

If you pre board, you will certainly find 5 seats together - either 2+3 across a row or 2+3 one row behind the other.

LaurieAnne
Explorer B

Oh OK see that's where I've been confused... one section says preboard is fist and I remember seeing some with wheel chairs preboard.. but it also says if you need more time, pre board is between A and B which makes no sense . As well as it saying only 1 assistant per preboard person makes it sound that 1 adult to 1 kid leaving one alone. It's why I seriously wish I had a 3rd adult going with us. That makes a lot more sense and I appreciate your help. Thank you. 

I feel bad about needing preboard just due to anxiety and autism because I know people will look at us and think "they're not disabled"  . I also fear that if I'm asking SWA for 3 people (really 5) , they will simply think that I'm playing the system.  Without medical proof I'm sure they're gonna grill us till I just say never mind we'll just sit wherever and hope my kids don't go nuts . I know that's probably irrational but I myself suffer extreme anxiety and this being only 2nd plane I'm still quite nervous about flying.  But I wouldn't ask for preboard for myself. Too much anxiety to do that.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Don't feel bad about pre boarding -- and who cares ewhat anyone else thinks.

If you say that you want to pre board and are asked -- "do you just need more time?" just say no, I need to pre board. If you answer that question "yes" that's when you get re routed to between A- abd B boarding groups.

That federal law I talked about earlier also prevents any airline from questionin you about your need to preboard. They can;t ask for a specific medical reason. they can;t ask for a doctor's note. They care not allowed to question your need.