Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Boarding experience

Socalflyer
Explorer C

This was my first time on Southwest. I was impressed with the efficiency of boarding and onboarding. You've got something going there.

The only issue I have are against those who are scheming the boarding policy by pretending to need a wheelchair. There was a couple who utilized the wheel chair when boarding but was quick to get off and walk the entire way out of the airport. They walked faster than I did. How does the wheelchair access work? Do you need a handicap sticker, or is it purely on the honor system? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Boarding experience

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@Socalflyer wrote:

This was my first time on Southwest. I was impressed with the efficiency of boarding and onboarding. You've got something going there.

The only issue I have are against those who are scheming the boarding policy by pretending to need a wheelchair. There was a couple who utilized the wheel chair when boarding but was quick to get off and walk the entire way out of the airport. They walked faster than I did. How does the wheelchair access work? Do you need a handicap sticker, or is it purely on the honor system? 

Hello-

No handicap sticker or proof of disability is required. 

The pre-boarding process is regulated by federal law under the Air Carrier Access Act. For a passenger to be entitled to pre-boarding or wheelchair, that passenger self-declares to the gate CSA as being a person with a disability that needs a specific seat or needing assistance or a wheelchair to board. No proof is required. They board during pre-boarding whereas those that declare that they "need extra time to board" due to disability board before Family Boarding in between the A and B groups.

Unfortunately, due to medical privacy in the USA, there is currently no cure-all solution to screen out possible "fake" pre-boarders as the airlines do not collect information concerning the extent of a declared disability.

To counter this, I would simply be an example and elect not to make any false disability declarations at the gate. 

ps. Nice profile name @Socalflyer

Re: Boarding experience

floridaguy
Aviator C

With regard to medical privacy, that is not what is going on with the preboarding policy.

Preboarding is covered under the Air Carrier Access Act.  The government allowed passengers to "self declare" their disability and qualify for preboarding.  I believe that it is because without some sort of "self declare", you would be leaving the decision to the gate agent and there would be lawsuits galore.

Under the law, you must "self declare" each time you begin a flight experience.  Theoretically, you could do back flips and aerobics all the way to the gate, then "self declare" your disability, then preboard.  You could also complete a 10K race and drop in a wheelchair afterwards, wearing your runner's shorts and shirt, also "self declare" and you qualify.

Since you must "self declare" your disability for each flight, theoretically the declaration also expires somewhere along the way, yet the law is silent here.  So, you can "self declare" your disability, walk on the plane and then withdraw your claim or have it expire.  

I see the day coming within the next five years where to preboard you must have a medical certification, just like handicap parking.