Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Family Boarding

m1kenavarro
Explorer C

Hi, this is my first time flying through Southwest. I will be with my family of 6. We have 3 adults, an 11 year old, and 2 and 4 year old babies. From what I seen about Southwest policy, are we all able to board together at once and is it true after A group boards we will be able to? Thanks for the help 🙂

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Family Boarding

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C

@m1kenavarro wrote:

Hi, this is my first time flying through Southwest. I will be with my family of 6. We have 3 adults, an 11 year old, and 2 and 4 year old babies. From what I seen about Southwest policy, are we all able to board together at once and is it true after A group boards we will be able to? Thanks for the help 🙂

Greetings and welcome to the LUV Airline!

Here's SW's policy on Family Boarding:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/boarding-process

• Up to two adults traveling with a child six years old or younger may board during Family Boarding, which occurs after the “A” group has boarded and before the “B” group begins boarding.
  • There should be enough open seats to enable the child to sit next to at least one accompanying adult.

That means by rule, your 2 and 4 year old's with their accompanying adults will be able to utilize the Family Boarding perk and have an accompanying adult sitting with them regardless of your assigned boarding position. I would have 2 of the 3 adults from your party utilize the perk. For the 11 year-old and the 3rd adult, here's the policy:

If you are traveling with a child age seven to 13 years old:

• If you need and request assistance, Southwest will reasonably endeavor to seat a child next to one accompanying passenger (14 and older) to the extent practicable and at no additional cost.
  • Families can speak to Gate Agents or Flight Attendants to request assistance.

With that, on travel day, I would speak to a SW agent at the gate and see if they can accommodate you should your group end up with a deep-in-the-B or C position. That will help assure the 11 year old has a paying adult sitting next to them.

This forum is customer-to-customer and lots of frequent SW travelers utilize this board who may also be able to provide you with additional tips based on your needs. Being your first trip aboard Southwest, feel free to post any other general questions you may have of using Southwest Airlines to the community.

05bardic
Adventurer C

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

@m1kenavarro wrote:

That means by rule, your 2 and 4 year old's with their accompanying adults will be able to utilize the Family Boarding perk and have an accompanying adult sitting with them regardless of your assigned boarding position. I would have 2 of the 3 adults from your party utilize the perk. For the 11 year-old and the 3rd adult, here's the policy:

When the two adults board with the 2 and 4 year old children during family boarding, I would have them go a row towards the back of the plane. Have one adult sit in each aisle seat of the row, and one child at each of the window seats, leaving both middle seats in the row open. Other travelers will want to avoid sitting in a middle seat next to a young child, so when the last adult boards with the 11 year old, they can fill in those two middle seats and your family will have the entire row. 

BeckettSullivan
Explorer C

Thank you so much for the link.

I also would like to help by sharing the https://academized.com/order-research-paper website with you. If you want to hire an essay writer then you can visit there.