Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

First Time Solo Flying, No ID

mayam8
Explorer C

Hello,

I'm taking my first solo flight this Wednesday but I realized that I do not have any government-issued IDs right now, (I had an issue at the DMV and was told I would get a replacement mailed but never did). I'm really nervous I won't be let onto my flight. I have a certified copy of my birth certificate with me and my driver's permit, would that be enough certification to get me on my plane? 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: First Time Solo Flying, No ID

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@mayam8 wrote:

Hello,

I'm taking my first solo flight this Wednesday but I realized that I do not have any government-issued IDs right now, (I had an issue at the DMV and was told I would get a replacement mailed but never did). I'm really nervous I won't be let onto my flight. I have a certified copy of my birth certificate with me and my driver's permit, would that be enough certification to get me on my plane? 

Hi! Birth Certificate unfortunately cannot be used as ID at the TSA checkpoint. However, they have interview/identity check process for your case. Here is TSA's policy which I assume your case would fall under "Forgot your ID".

Forgot Your ID?
In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you choose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Although not a valid ID to pass through TSA, I would still bring your Birth Certificate and any DMV/utility paperwork as a supporting documents and arrive at the TSA checkpoint 2 hours prior to departure so they can complete the required identity check and secondary inspections. 

Re: First Time Solo Flying, No ID

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@mayam8 wrote:

Hello,

Also how old are you? If you are 15 to 17 years old you can fly as what Southwest refers to as a "Young Traveler" ...actually 12-17 but you mentioned a driver's permit so you must be at least 15 - travelers in this age range are not required to have ID although you should consider bringing those items you mentioned and arrive a little early in case any interview is needed.

If so, then you can use this link for more info as well as guidance if someone will be dropping you off they may ask for a gate pass. 

Young Travelers 12-17 years old | Southwest Airlines

If you are 18 or older then you are normally supposed to have ID, then go through the process outlined by @SoCalFlyer97 - the items you mentioned may be useful in an interview, but won't be taken as equivalent to an ID, but they will help you establish your ID. Ignore my YT advice if it doesn't apply.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.