Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Is an upgraded boarding fee refundable?

ebahsali
Explorer C

Hi, Can anyone confirm this as I checked online but could not find the answer:  I was just told by SWA customer service that upgraded boarding is non-refundable/ no credit - basically,  forfeited when you change to another flight.  Here is what happened to me:  I upgraded  Wanna get-away tickets to Business for two and paid the $100 to get a better seat position.  On the day of the flight, we needed to switch to an earlier flight and we got help from the customer service agent at the gate - The Wanna get-away was credited and we paid the fee difference as the ticket fare was different, the agent told us that the upgraded boarding fee will be refunded/credited separately.  It has been a few weeks now so I just called the SWA customer service to check on the status and was told all upgraded boarding fees are forfeited anytime you make a flight change and only refundable when SWA cancels the flight.  Is this accurate and the agent at the gate was wrong?  Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Is an upgraded boarding fee refundable?

Munsingerjc
Adventurer C

Hey there!! So normally, the fee for upgraded boarding is non-refundable since you purchase this after check-in and then you get your boarding position. It looks like the gate agent was incorrect unfortunately since this fee is like I said, non-refundable. Once you change your flight, you lose your boarding position which means that you would need to purchase it again if you still wanted it for the changed flight. There isn't really anything you can do about upgrades boarding and getting it refunded since it is after the 24 hour check on mark. One Thing I would recommend is to purchase early bird check-in with your flight when you book it. This way, anytime up until the check in mark, it is transferable between any flight! 

So moral of the story, unfortunately the Southwest gate agent was misinformed and told you the incorrect information. The upgraded boarding/early bird check-in is non refundable and not transferable 24 hours or less before scheduled time of departure. 

I hope this helps and makes sense 😉

Home airport, DEN. Frequent traveler to the west.

ebahsali
Explorer C

Hi, Yes, helps a lot.  Many thanks

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@ebahsali wrote:

Hi, Can anyone confirm this as I checked online but could not find the answer:  I was just told by SWA customer service that upgraded boarding is non-refundable/ no credit - basically,  forfeited when you change to another flight.  Here is what happened to me:  I upgraded  Wanna get-away tickets to Business for two and paid the $100 to get a better seat position.  On the day of the flight, we needed to switch to an earlier flight and we got help from the customer service agent at the gate - The Wanna get-away was credited and we paid the fee difference as the ticket fare was different, the agent told us that the upgraded boarding fee will be refunded/credited separately.  It has been a few weeks now so I just called the SWA customer service to check on the status and was told all upgraded boarding fees are forfeited anytime you make a flight change and only refundable when SWA cancels the flight.  Is this accurate and the agent at the gate was wrong?  Thanks in advance

Hello-

By the looks of your post, did you upgrade your fare class from WGA to Business Select? Business Select comes with additional perks in addition to the A1-A15 boarding benefit and is refundable. Note that upgrading the fare class to Business Select is different from the Upgraded Boarding product which is not refundable and includes only the A1-A15 benefit for any other fare class holder if it's available--hence the confusion.

Is this correct? If so, the difference in fare from the original Upgrade-to-Business Select purchase should be due back. If this is the case, I would follow up with Customer Service again on the refund/credit status, but advise them that you originally upgraded your fare class to Business Select.

ebahsali
Explorer C

Hello, we upgraded the boarding and now I understand that is non refundable.  Thanks so much for your insights.