Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Items missing from checked luggage

Shalom2infinity
Explorer C

I flew from LAX to PHX today and checked two bags at LAX and after arriving at hotel in Phoenix discovered an item missing from one bag which was unlocked but checked , an expensive digital camera and accessories which was in it's own leather bag and the last item packed in that bag before leaving for LAX. I know these things happen but don't see any discussions on the subject.

Anyone with info or experienced similar issues?

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Items missing from checked luggage

qster1719
Explorer C

Yes I just got home from a flight that came in from Orlando and had bought 6 bars of special soap from a vendor down there.  They were wrapped separately in blue tissue paper and when I just unpacked my luggage just now they were not in my suitcase at all.  If they felt the need to take them thinking that were not what they were labeled as they should have told me.  I am so angry since they were gifts that I was going to give out.  My luggage was checked in two hours before my flight so I'm sure they were just sitting aroung waiting to be invaded!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

You need to call the baggage service right away, there is a limited window of time to report any propblems with your luggage.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

OtisGudlyfe
Explorer C

I flew from BWI to HOU yesterday and when I got to my hotel I discovered items worth about $150 missing from my bag. I called SW "Customer Service" this morning and they told me I'd have to call the SW Baggage people at HOU (the last place SW had possession of my bags).

I called at 8am and got a recording that said they were "helping another customer" but my call was "very important to (them)" and .....well, you know the rest.

It has been over 6 hrs and no call back. I just called again and...believe it or not, they are still "helping another customer."

Clearly the "Customer Service" at Southwest is a misnomer.

bec102896
Aviator A

@OtisGudlyfe

If you can't get a hold of the baggage office in Houston I would try calling customer relations at 855-234-4654 and maybe they can direct you to someone who can help I just know there is a time window to report and I wouldn't want you to get the sorry your to late response as that's never a fun situation when you have been trying to contact them.  

Another idea is if your are near Houston hobby you might go there and go to the baggage office as it might be faster than trying to get through on the phone.

hope this helps 

Blake

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@bec102896 wrote:

@OtisGudlyfe

If you can't get a hold of the baggage office in Houston I would try calling customer relations at 855-234-4654 and maybe they can direct you to someone who can help I just know there is a time window to report and I wouldn't want you to get the sorry your to late response as that's never a fun situation when you have been trying to contact them.  

Another idea is if your are near Houston hobby you might go there and go to the baggage office as it might be faster than trying to get through on the phone.

hope this helps 

Blake

One clarification - no need to tell us what went missing, but I have seen other posts on here where the poster had an item go missing that had a lithum battery in it - in that case TSA snatched it out of the luggage on purpose since it is prohibited. I don't believe you can get it back, and Southwest won't offer any replacement. I don't know if this applies to you or not.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

suewall300
Explorer C

We flew from Denver on Oct. 23 on Flight 6565 to Houston.  We changed planes in Houston in a short time window to Flight 307.  We checked 4 bags in Denver—3 pieces of luggage and a golf bag.  The luggage is new Samsonite  purple luggage.  One of the bags, medium size contained two C-pap machines and an envelope bag approximately 6 x 12” wild abstract design in bright multi colors  with fine costume jewelry with one set valued over $275.  All jewelry sets were in individual bags within  the bag.  The Cpap bags are usually checked. And we had the luggage there at least 2 1/2 hours early.  Upon arriving, we went to dinner and then only unpacked our night clothes and went to bed.  We unpacked at 12 noon today and we called a friend to check our house for the jewelry just to be sure I packed it.  It was not there.  I made numerous calls to 1-888-202-1024.  We are at Cancun on the Riviera Maya at the Hard Rock Hackenda Hotel and every called failed.  The last person who I talked to could not hear me and five calls in a row we’re dropped so I resorted to this form.    Her name was, “C.J.”  Please help me.  You can reach me by email or by a text message to my phone.  My phone is 970-231-5695.  

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@suewall300 wrote:

We flew from Denver on Oct. 23 on Flight 6565 to Houston.  We changed planes in Houston in a short time window to Flight 307.  We checked 4 bags in Denver—3 pieces of luggage and a golf bag.  The luggage is new Samsonite  purple luggage.  One of the bags, medium size contained two C-pap machines and an envelope bag approximately 6 x 12” wild abstract design in bright multi colors  with fine costume jewelry with one set valued over $275.  All jewelry sets were in individual bags within  the bag.  The Cpap bags are usually checked. And we had the luggage there at least 2 1/2 hours early.  Upon arriving, we went to dinner and then only unpacked our night clothes and went to bed.  We unpacked at 12 noon today and we called a friend to check our house for the jewelry just to be sure I packed it.  It was not there.  I made numerous calls to 1-888-202-1024.  We are at Cancun on the Riviera Maya at the Hard Rock Hackenda Hotel and every called failed.  The last person who I talked to could not hear me and five calls in a row we’re dropped so I resorted to this form.    Her name was, “C.J.”  Please help me.  You can reach me by email or by a text message to my phone.  My phone is 970-231-5695.  

Unfortunately, as you're about to discover, Southwest takes no responsibility for any items missing from checked luggage (unless the bag is also damaged, delayed or lost.)

For future reference, in the case of a damaged, delayed or lost bag, you must make a claim at the airport baggage office within 4 hours of flight arrival, for the claim to even be considered.

FYI: Medical devices (such as CPAPs) should always be carried on, not placed in checked baggage. Southwest expressly accepts no liability for "high-value" items like these (among many other examples) as stated in the Southwest Airlines Contract of Carriage (pdf). Keep in mind that necessary medical devices are exempt from any carry-on limitations.

You may still want to reach out to Customer Relations, to document your experience. They may also be able to provide a small travel voucher for your inconvenience. This is a customer-to-customer forum, so a rep won't be able to contact you here. (You may want to delete your phone number for security purposes.) I'd recommend contacting Customer Relations via Twitter direct message. Good luck.

sandysue79
Explorer B

My brand new watch was stolen from my checked luggage and Southwest could care less! I will never fly Southwest again!

sandysue79
Explorer B

I bought a new watch while on vacation in Las Vegas last week. I packed it, still in the box, under stacks of clothes in my checked luggage. I took a direct flight #2290 from Las Vegas to Raleigh, North Carolina and when I unpacked my suitacase the box and watch were gone. After speaking with a Southwest employee and TSA I was told my luggage should have never left the view of security cameras. It has been over a week now and after filing police reports in both states, report with TSA, and reports with both airports I am still without my new watch. Lesson learned - NEVER pack anything valuable at all in your checked bags. I will never fly Shouthwest ever again and I will be cancelling my credit card as soon as I drain the points I have left on it.