Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Shirt damaged

mattperk
Explorer C

I checked my bag on my flight this morning. When I opened my suitcase I found one of my shirts had two large wet stains on it. None of my other clothing was damaged. Does Southwest offer a refund or credit for damaged items that are in checked bags?IMG_7666.jpgIMG_7665.jpg

1 REPLY 1

Re: Shirt damaged

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@mattperk wrote:

I checked my bag on my flight this morning. When I opened my suitcase I found one of my shirts had two large wet stains on it. None of my other clothing was damaged. Does Southwest offer a refund or credit for damaged items that are in checked bags?

Oh no...Sorry to see this happen.

Here is Southwest's policy on compensation for damaged items:
https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/article/lost-damaged-delayed-baggage

Were you able to initiate a damage claim directly with Southwest Baggage Service within four hours of receiving your checked bag? That would be a key step for any compensation claim. If you were able to, there's still a possibility that they may deny the compensation as the liability excludes minor damages from stains but it may be worth it to report it anyway as Southwest makes the final call on this after reviewing the photos and specifics of your claim. 

If the Baggage Service Claim compensation is out of the question or if the claim was never filed within the 4 hour window, I would still give Southwest Customer service an email and describe the details of this inconvenience as this message board is customer-to-customer. I can't guarantee it, but there's a possibility Customer Service might be able to at least offer you some form of travel credit for the damage incident in return for your business with Southwest. I would keep your letter fact-based as much as possible.

Go here:

https://support.southwest.com/helpcenter/s/email-us

Select "Comment/Question", "Baggage", "Damaged Luggage". Allow the airline a few days to reply.

Hope this helps!