Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

July '23 Photo Trip Report (SAN-OAK)

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

Hello Community Southwest:

Here's a Photo Trip Report (SAN-OAK) w/ a same day return flight on Friday, July 7.

20230707_073356.jpg

So far, despite what I've been hearing all over the national news media about the airline industry this summer, I have not experienced anything out of the ordinary regarding overall Southwest flight operations here on the west coast (Airports used: SAN, OAK, PDX, SJC). This season, I've been through a few minor delays and I've seen a few folks needing to rebook tight connecting flights that would be missed but that's just about it.

Enjoy the pics:

SAN's New Terminal 1 Construction Progress (airside to the left; landside to the right):

20230707_071203.jpg

The two horizontal Grey I-Beams coming out from the second story airside floor (next to the construction stairs tower): A future Southwest gate?

20230707_071317.jpg

Airside view of New Terminal 1 construction from the plane:

20230707_075515.jpg

SoCal getting a few extra days of cool overcast skies before a forecasted heat wave.

20230707_081346.jpg

The 737-700 (and the Marine layer) headed to OAK

20230707_085444.jpg 

Ground Transport: BART Legacy trainset to the left headed toward Oakland/San Francisco/East Bay; a "Fleet of the Future" trainset to the right headed toward Dublin/San Jose.

20230707_094457.jpg

OAK's got Southwest's innovative digital wayfinding signs at the gates!

20230707_143314.jpg 

20230707_144020.jpg

Return flight was at first 15 minutes tardy out of the OAK gate but recovered nearly all the lost time en-route. SAN Gate arrival 5:17, just two minutes behind schedule.

20230707_143234.jpg

Making the big U-Turn from OAK ascending over downtown San Francisco...

20230707_161904.jpg

...and another U-turn descending over downtown San Diego toward SAN with a view of the international border to Mexico in the horizon.

20230707_171648.jpg

Trivia Question (Think Fast!): At OAK, people can take a BART peoplemover cable tramway from OAK to the BART Coliseum Station which links the traveler to the entire BART train system. Trams depart every 6-12 minutes and makes the haul in about 9 minutes plus walk time in between the ground level and aerial station platforms. One way fare is $6.70; total one way BART fare from OAK into downtown Oakland is $8.85.

There's another efficient daytime means to get from OAK to the Coliseum BART station and back for just $2.25 each way with a travel time of about 11 minutes between these two points (bringing the total ground transport fare from OAK to downtown Oakland $4.40 each way). Which ground transportation means and route accomplishes this connection? First to answer gets the checkmark!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: July '23 Photo Trip Report (SAN-OAK)

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

Without Google I'm going to say there is a Muni bus route to do the same thing, assuming you weren't going to continue on with BART.

I have only done the BART connection myself in that case.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

Trivia Question (Think Fast!): At OAK, people can take a BART peoplemover cable tramway from OAK to the BART Coliseum Station which links the traveler to the entire BART train system. Trams depart every 6-12 minutes and makes the haul in about 9 minutes plus walk time in between the ground level and aerial station platforms. One way fare is $6.70; total one way BART fare from OAK into downtown Oakland is $8.85.

There's another efficient daytime means to get from OAK to the Coliseum BART station and back for just $2.25 each way with a travel time of about 11 minutes between these two points (bringing the total ground transport fare from OAK to downtown Oakland $4.40 each way). Which ground transportation means and route accomplishes this connection? First to answer gets the checkmark!

Without Google I'm going to say there is a Muni bus route to do the same thing, assuming you weren't going to continue on with BART.

I have only done the BART connection myself in that case.

As mentioned in the original post, the fare on the OAK Airport BART Beige Line peoplemover cable tramway was $6.70 each way for the 9-10 minute trip between OAK and the Coliseum BART Station. By comparison, a local public transit bus goes the same way for $2.25.

When one is traveling during the day to/from OAK, AC Transit Bus Line 73 can link a passenger between OAK and the BART rail system for $2.25 local fare and makes the connection in about 10-12 minutes. The interval between buses is 15 minutes. Surprisingly enough, while I was checking real-time departures on my mobile device, the bus actually timed much better than the Beige Line for this particular trip and I was the sole passenger on the bus for most of the trip.

To compare (OAK to downtown Oakland 19th St BART via BART Coliseum Station):

Carrier: BART Beige Line Peoplemover

20230210_095439.jpg20230210_BART Beige Line.jpg

One Way Fare at the time of the trip:

$6.70 OAK to Coliseum BART Beige Line

$2.15 Coliseum BART to downtown Oakland 19th BART via BART Orange Line

$8.85 Total
Beige Line Frequency: 6-12 Minutes
Beige Line Trip Length: 9-10 Minutes

Carrier: AC Transit Bus Route 73

20230707_092820.jpg

20230707_094457.jpg

$2.25 OAK to Coliseum via AC Transit Line 73

$4.40 Total

Line 73 Frequency: 15 Minutes
Line 73 Trip Length: 10-12 Minutes

One caveat if you plan to value shop your ground transportation at OAK: If travelling back to OAK anytime after dark, I would spend the $6.70 fare for the BART Beige Line as the street level bus stops at the Coliseum BART station are not in the best of areas and may not be the best place to wait for Line 73 at night.

Safe Travels!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SoCalFlyer97 wrote:

To compare (OAK to downtown Oakland 19th St BART via BART Coliseum Station):

Carrier: BART Beige Line Peoplemover

$6.70 OAK to Coliseum BART Beige Line

$8.85 Total
Beige Line Frequency: 6-12 Minutes
Beige Line Trip Length: 9-10 Minutes

Carrier: AC Transit Bus Route 73

$2.25 OAK to Coliseum via AC Transit Line 73

$4.40 Total

Line 73 Frequency: 15 Minutes
Line 73 Trip Length: 10-12 Minutes

One caveat if you plan to value shop your ground transportation at OAK: If travelling back to OAK anytime after dark, I would spend the $6.70 fare for the BART Beige Line as the street level bus stops at the Coliseum BART station are not in the best of areas and may not be the best place to wait for Line 73 at night.

Safe Travels!

Fun pro-tip!

Was it as easy with any roller bags to get through the bus vs the connector? I had forgotten that it was separate fare from BART on the connection, or can you buy a day pass or other option to avoid separate fares?

Thanks also - I looked it up after my post and didn't realize Muni was only SF and East Bay have their own regional bus system...but close enough!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@DancingDavidE wrote:

Fun pro-tip!

Was it as easy with any roller bags to get through the bus vs the connector? I had forgotten that it was separate fare from BART on the connection, or can you buy a day pass or other option to avoid separate fares?

Thanks also - I looked it up after my post and didn't realize Muni was only SF and East Bay have their own regional bus system...but close enough!

The bus was probably easier of the two options for roller bags as the bus boards at street level at OAK, BART Beige Line peoplemover had aerial stations similar to the Disney and Las Vegas Monorail which requires going up one floor.

The Coliseum BART station is also aerial with the bus stop at street level, main BART tracks on the 2nd floor and the Beige Line peoplemover on the 3rd floor. The Beige Line is similar to other peoplemovers with limited seating and wide-open floor space for standing. 

AC Transit and BART are separate operators but both use a universal Bay-area "Clipper" fare card as an option to deduct fares.