Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Uncle Herb's Vision

gusgus78102
Explorer C

What is going on with Southwest Airlines? This is a company close to my heart and the absolute best job I ever had (flight attendant, DAL based 2005-2011), but I just don't recognize it anymore. I don't know what the employee culture is like or how it's changed in the last 14 years, but the last time I flew on SWA in January of this year, not a single F/A looked like they were enjoying their job. I'm very sad about all the changes, price hikes, and issues they've had lately as an airline. I feel "uncle Herb's" vision has been lost in the weeds. Either that or he just didn't anticipate the advance of technology. Should the airline go back to its roots? Remember what worked and why people preferred a "low-cost" carrier. Any comments?...

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Uncle Herb's Vision

dfwskier
Aviator A

The world changed. The airline industry changed, and Southwest had to change a bit.

I fly a lot - maybe 30  flights a year and I have been doing that for years. I still see a lot of the old SW today. I still see FAs and gate attendants having fun..

Take a few more flights, and maybe you'll see it too.

gusgus78102
Explorer C

I'm sure there are plenty of F/As that still love what they do. Things were so different when I was there. This was pre-AirTran. I miss it and am afraid I've lost touch with most of my coworkers. If any of you are on here, this is Gus (e77331), graduated class 215 in May 2005. Hope to hear from some familiar faces. Thanks for the input dfwskier.

dfwskier
Aviator A

You are most welcome, Gus.

You know there is a place for retired SW employees to log in. I don't know whether or not it provides any functionality to allow you to contact others like you. I'm ex TI, and I know the TI alumni association does sponsor get togethers. Maybe Southwest's does, too. I dunno.

All the best to you.

gusgus78102
Explorer C

Awesome. Is it a website? What other info can you provide?

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm not sure what it is since I'm not a SW retireee.

It seems you have to log off the Southwest Community (where you are now).  and then log back in and you'll see the retiree portal info on the right side of the page.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/user/userloginpage

Artanis
Explorer B

I agree with dfwskier.

Artanis_0-1719021507747.png