Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Weight shaming

BerryJayme1984
Explorer C

On Saturday 1/22/22 I was on flight #3434 from BNA to HOU. When I got on the plane I went to the EXIT seats like I ALWAYS do due to my long legs. The flight attendant that was standing there, I asked her if I could sit there, she asked me if I could sit in the row behind while she went and asked a question. I said sure but I was puzzled to why and what was going on to why I couldn't sit there. I have always sat in those seats and there has never been an issue before. so when she got back she allowed two other people to sit in the row that she KNEW i wanted to sit in, and the only thing she said to me was "do you need a seat extender?" I asked her Why are you asking me that and why did you allow those two to sit there when you knew that's where I wanted to sit? she just kept repeating over aging do you need a seat extender? so I asked "SO YOU WONT LET ME SIT IN THE EXIT ROW BECAUSE OF MY HEAVY WIGHT????"  She then said well I'm new and you cant sit there if you need an extender... First off don't assume just because I'm a bigger person I need that. and you need to stop talking to me NOW. I DO NOT APPRICIAT HOW I WAS TREATED. I HAVE NEVER BEEN TREATED THIS WAY BEFORE IN MY LIFE. I don't know if Ill EVER fly with Southwest again because of her..... something needs to be done.....

1 REPLY 1

Re: Weight shaming

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sounds like you could have just answered her question and the situation would have resolved itself.  Had you said "no" I'm betting she would have gotten a seat for you, but since you apparently did need the extender or didn't want to answer the question, the whole issue of her allowing someone else to sit in the seat is irrelevant.

You're welcome to submit your comments directly to Southwest, use the contact us link at the bottom of the page.

--TheMiddleSeat