Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

what safety measures so coffee pot not overheat?

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

thank you

4 REPLIES 4

Re: what safety measures so coffee pot not overheat?

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@CupCrusher40 wrote:

what safety measures so coffee pot not overheat?

thank you

I'm not sure what you're asking. Are you asking about the coffee pots that are used in the plane's galley (kitchen) areas for inflight beverage service? Making sure the coffee isn't too hot?

Inflight food and beverages aboard any airline in the USA are carefully regulated which include vetting the manufacturers of such products and the equipment used to prep them. When I was growing up and worked my first jobs in the restaurant industry, management was required to do food safety temperature audits of cooked foods, refrigerators, and freezers daily to ensure temperatures are correct and within safe tolerances. I'm sure the coffee pots aboard the plane are carefully checked on a regular basis too.

I believe the OEM manufactures of aviation coffee makers also incorporate special "software" into their coffee equipment unlike regular commercial or home coffee pots to ensure precise temperature at given altitudes as I've read that the brewing temperature tolerance decreases as the plane ascends to higher elevations. Anything too low prevents a boil to properly brew the grounds; anything too high spoils the drink.

Hence, I assume good coffee served on the plane comes at a safe temperature.

CupCrusher40
Frequent Flyer B

powered how?

dfwskier
Aviator A

There's a digital rec-tal thermometer on the back of the pot.

🙂

Muhammad-ahmed
Explorer C

To ensure your coffee pot doesn't overheat, make sure it's placed on a flat, stable surface away from any flammable materials. Regularly clean the heating element and vents to prevent dust buildup. Follow manufacturer guidelines, use a properly rated extension cord if needed, and never leave the coffee pot unattended while brewing.

Muhammad Ahmed