Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Any Ideas for Companion Pass?

DRSSW212
Explorer C

I am like 18,000 points away from achieving CP again.  BUT, my Chase account doesn't close until like January 4 (which means points don't post until around the 7th of January, which I understand means they won't count for this year).  I tried calling and getting my statement close date changed (I have charged enough so far that I should get the 18,000 points with my current spend on the card), but the person I spoke with said it won't actually change until the next billing cycle?  Anyone have any ideas? 

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Any Ideas for Companion Pass?

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

not sure how to get that many points quickly without spending lots $$.  Hotel stay via Southwest/Booking.com, dining, and SW shopping are the only ways I know outside of flights.  Just checked flights and I can fly from MCI - TPA on Christmas eve, round trip for $1,734 to get 18,816 points, but not sure CP is worth the $1,734 ticket price for something you weren't really needing.

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@PDFelter wrote:

not sure how to get that many points quickly without spending lots $$.  Hotel stay via Southwest/Booking.com, dining, and SW shopping are the only ways I know outside of flights.  Just checked flights and I can fly from MCI - TPA on Christmas eve, round trip for $1,734 to get 18,816 points, but not sure CP is worth the $1,734 ticket price for something you weren't really needing.

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

Or if there isn't a combo for you big enough do a multi-city booking in a wheel to get three legs in one day. 

That would be borderline on extra expense for sure, I don't think I personally would have recouped that much in tickets this year. Well, maybe with a couple of the last minute changes but in that case if I didn't have the CP I would have been more careful about the planning and avoided the last minute fares.

Otherwise try Rocket Miles you can do a couple of staycations if there are any 10,000 point bonus offers. Since it is companion pass you don't actually have to fly as opposed to needing that many tier points you pretty much have to do the 12x BS fare for that to close a gap of any size.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

mangud
Explorer C

Hi,

What did you decide to do? Looking for good ideas

I need 3200 points. Looking into the options that donot require me to fly and waste a day.

SoCalFlyer97
Frequent Flyer A

@mangud wrote:

Hi,

What did you decide to do? Looking for good ideas

I need 3200 points. Looking into the options that donot require me to fly and waste a day.

@mangud 

I echo @DancingDavidE; I would do a hotel booking.

I would check the RocketMiles or Southwest Hotels Points Plus Properties for a 3,500 or 4,000 point offer near your location and book it as soon as possible. Based on my experience, the RR points for a Points Plus or RocketMiles property will usually post in about 72-96 hours after check out date, so try to find something for this weekend or for tonight if possible. Both portals are powered by Booking.com

https://www.southwesthotels.com/

https://www.rocketmiles.com/

Try to find a non-resort/non-destination hotel that goes no more than 1-2 nights (resorts/destination hotels usually tack on junk/resort fees). Note that most places will require a separate incidentals deposit that will get credited back a few days after check out date. Likely a two-night search in your area may get you what you need but I would book it for this weekend if you can.

Please note that you'll need to go to the actual hotel address on check-in day and go through the check-in process but you may be able leave the hotel from there. Before booking, I would confirm with the hotel directly to see if you can check out by simply leaving the key cards in the room. If they permit it, you can be done with the hotel after checking in, going to the room and leaving the keys there...or of course, you and your folks can enjoy the amenities there and the spend the nights there if able.