Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Chase Bank Demanding $4000 to Cover Fraudulent Transactions on My Rapid Rewards Visa Card

Jaymarizona
Explorer C

Chase is demanding $4000 to cover 40 fraudulent transactions on my Chase/Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa card, including 22% interest!

If I don’t pay in full Chase will destroy my credit rating.

Their fraud-detection is so ineffective that they approved simultaneous “card-present” charges for the same card at merchants 400 miles apart - one in Phoenix where my card number was compromised and one in Los Angeles where I was using the card legitimately. This happened several times, not just once.

Now they are demanding payment AND interest for charges from both locations. I gave them my completed Southwest itinerary to prove I was in Los Angeles but they refuse to remove the Phoenix charges/interest from my account along with all the others.

Chase closed out my fraud case twice (and told me to payup) and their analysts failed to notice that Chase approved the simultaneous “card-present” transactions mentioned above - when I brought it to their attention at least they reopened my case. The national operations manager could not explain how this happened but has not said the charges will be reversed. 

I have lost all confidence in Chase. They have provided ZERO documentation that I am responsible for the fraudulent charges and I have been working on this for months.

Chase definitely puts the customer on trial in these cases and they say I am responsible for all charges/interest unless I can prove that I did not transact them. 

This has been a nightmare requiring over 25 hours of my time so far!

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Chase Bank Demanding $4000 to Cover Fraudulent Transactions on My Rapid Rewards Visa Card

Jaymarizona
Explorer C

Update: Almost $800 of this fraud happened at one Target location (6 transactions.)

Target told my Phoenix PD detective this week that they only keep in-store video for 14 days - I don't believe that so I emailed Target's executive team and asked them to work with the store to recover the video of these transactions. 

Seems ridiculous that Target would have a company-wide policy that "we destroy all in-store video older than 14 days" I'll post future updates here.

Re: Chase Bank Demanding $4000 to Cover Fraudulent Transactions on My Rapid Rewards Visa Card

floridaguy
Aviator C

Start by reading the Federal laws regarding credit card disputes.  You need to file a dispute, in writing, with your credit card carrier.