Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Member of the Stolen Rewards Points

notional
Explorer C

UPDATE - So after about three weeks of investigation,  I received an email stating my points would be returned and that I had to change my password (which was done immediately upon discovery of this issue). Thanks to SW for their positive response to this issue. I hope that in the future SW offers better password capabilities as I feel that the only time my password was exposed to an unsecure WIFI was on one of their planes (can't use VPN when I logged on there).  Even though I can get free wifi on their flights, I won't be using it after this incident.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Never expose your passwords on things that matter on public wifi.

notional
Explorer C

That is great information. I'll make note of that next time.

eercksen
Explorer C

I would not just blow this off as a hacker that got into your account via a poor password on your behalf. I too had my points taken and they used my attached credit card to book a flight. I have a very complex password and pay attention to securing my devices. When I called they put my points back into my account and the SW credit card refunded my money. At that point I thought it was all done. At that point I let things go. On Saturday I made a decision to get a last minute flight based on using my points. When i went to book the flight they told me my account was on hold. This was almost 60 days past the initial incident. The customer service rep (Ashley) hung up on me when i asked to speak with a manager or at least put in case notes. In the end i was forced to pay the most ive ever paid for a plane ticket instead of using my points. I am  not convinced that this was a directed hack on just my account. I believe that it was done either internally or on Southwest's system. At this time I am going to be demanding that they make this right since i am the victim. I am also going to request a complete copy of the investigation. Since my credit card was used this is also more than just points. They have the name of the person who booked the flight and whose information was put into my account. If they fail to cooperate I will be reaching out to the attorney generals office.