Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Need 3200 points to earn Companion Pass. Ideas please...

mangud
Explorer C

I just realized that I can earn Companion Pass if I can earn 3200 points. 

I am new to companion pass and not aware of the details. 

Please suggest some specific ideas. 

Thank you and appreciate your guidance.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Need 3200 points to earn Companion Pass. Ideas please...

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@mangud wrote:

I just realized that I can earn Companion Pass if I can earn 3200 points. 

I am new to companion pass and not aware of the details. 

Please suggest some specific ideas. 

Thank you and appreciate your guidance.

Here is the manual of what will count and what won't:

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

If that's TL;DR - you can fly and get the points instantly, for a WGA fare at 6x points you need to do a points run that costs $534. At 12x points you can fly a Business Select flight for $267 although often the fares are higher - see what's available from your local airport. My suggestion is to find the closest rounded up BS fare and then you can use points to come back if you want to save some out of pocket cash - book one-ways so you can pay cash for the BS fare and use points for a WGA coming back.

Next best options in my opinion are hotel stays, you can look on Rapid Rewards or third-party sites like Rocketmiles and do a local staycation if you can find one that's enough points. You do actually have to go and check in, although they won't care if you actually stay the night. Make sure bonus points would work timing-wise.

All of these options are going to run you $250 to $600 - if you fly very often and can use Companion Pass you should recoup that sort of extra cost needed to get there.

Rental cars could work but I'm skeptical of getting enough points, and not clear if bonus points would work timing-wise.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

mangud
Explorer C

Thank you. I will try one of the options. I will read through the terms.

Is there a way to buy Southwest points that will earn companion pass qualifying points immediately without waiting until the credit card points are posted ?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A
Solution

@mangud wrote:

Thank you. I will try one of the options. I will read through the terms.

Is there a way to buy Southwest points that will earn companion pass qualifying points immediately without waiting until the credit card points are posted ?

Buying RR points won't count:

DancingDavidE_0-1703294333069.png

The other types of activity that count right away are:

1. Flights you usually get it same day - this is the best and fastest way.
  2. Hotels and rental cars count when the stay is completed or the rental takes place - even if the posting of them is later, it is retroactive.
  3. Read the EOY link above and there are other things that are retroactive but won't post immediately.

You would be in effect "buying" the points with the flight, hotel, or car rental since it is a trip you wouldn't otherwise be making. We call it a "points run" when you are doing it just to achieve the status that you are close to.

Southwest has occasionally offered a special offer to buy points towards tier qualifying or companion pass at the end of the year, keep an eye out if you get a targeted offer. 

After all it only benefits both parties if you make it - you get the companion pass, Southwest gets you locked in to take advantage of CP.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.