Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Why keep my Southwest Credit Card???

Kareyusc
Explorer C

I just found out I missed A-List Preferred this year due to TQP instead of points earned.  I spent over $50k on that credit card and earned less than $3,000 points towards my A-List.  This seems insane to me.  Almost all airlines are trying to get you to use their credit card and give benefits to people using their cards.  I am shocked and wonder why I would even keep this card.  I want to take my spending somewhere else! 

Besides just the standard airline points, why do you keep this card?

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Why keep my Southwest Credit Card???

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

because I spend enough on the card to get me enough points to never pay for an airline ticket for myself, husband, and 2 kids (now 4 with spouses) to go where we want every year.  

I haven't paid for an airline ticket in a very long time (we're talking many years).  We've also earned companion pass with it every year.

Only you can determine the value of the card for your use.  For me, I will keep it forever.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Check your math. If you put $50k on your card, you got 7500 A-List qualifying point

Do the same this year and you'll get 15000 A-List qualifying points.

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

I love math that results in airline miles 😍

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

epcot
Adventurer C

WN is possibly the absolute most promotional airline out there... I have like 4 overlapping card spend offers right now

Peggy1182
Explorer C

Let’s explore the benefits of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa Credit Card beyond the standard airline points:

1. Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs): While you missed A-List Preferred this year due to TQPs, the card offers an opportunity to earn 1,500 TQPs toward A-List status for every $5,000 spent annually on your Rapid Rewards Premier, Priority, Premier Business, or Performance Business Credit Card. This can help you achieve elite status faster.

2. Personalized Alerts: The card provides personalized alerts, notifying you when your bill is due or if a large transaction is posted to your account. Staying informed about your account activity is crucial for financial management.

3. Authorized Users: By adding authorized users to your credit card account, you can earn points for their spending. It’s a way to accumulate points more quickly and share the benefits with family members.

4. Paperless Statements: Opt for paperless statements to reduce clutter and securely access your statements online. It’s convenient and environmentally friendly.

5. Exclusive Access Events: As a Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card member, you’ll have the opportunity to attend exclusive Access Events planned especially for Cardmembers. These events offer unique experiences and perks.

6. 25% Back on Inflight Purchases: When using your Southwest credit card for inflight purchases, you’ll receive 25% back in Rapid Rewards points. It’s a nice bonus for onboard snacks, drinks, and Wi-Fi.

7. EarlyBird Check-In: Enjoy EarlyBird Check-In, which automatically checks you 36 hours before your flight. You’ll have a better chance of securing your preferred seat.

8. Travel Credit: Depending on the specific card variant, you may receive an annual travel credit to offset part of your card’s annual fee.

Peggy1182
Explorer C

@Peggy1182 wrote:

Let’s explore the benefits of the Southwest Rapid Rewards Visa Credit Card beyond the standard airline points:

1. Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs): While you missed A-List Preferred this year due to TQPs, the card offers an opportunity to earn 1,500 TQPs toward A-List status for every $5,000 spent annually on your Rapid Rewards Premier, Priority, Premier Business, or Performance Business Credit Card. This can help you achieve elite status faster. Skyward FBISD

2. Personalized Alerts: The card provides personalized alerts, notifying you when your bill is due or if a large transaction is posted to your account. Staying informed about your account activity is crucial for financial management.

3. Authorized Users: By adding authorized users to your credit card account, you can earn points for their spending. It’s a way to accumulate points more quickly and share the benefits with family members.

4. Paperless Statements: Opt for paperless statements to reduce clutter and securely access your statements online. It’s convenient and environmentally friendly.

5. Exclusive Access Events: As a Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card member, you’ll have the opportunity to attend exclusive Access Events planned especially for Cardmembers. These events offer unique experiences and perks.

6. 25% Back on Inflight Purchases: When using your Southwest credit card for inflight purchases, you’ll receive 25% back in Rapid Rewards points. It’s a nice bonus for onboard snacks, drinks, and Wi-Fi.

7. EarlyBird Check-In: Enjoy EarlyBird Check-In, which automatically checks you 36 hours before your flight. You’ll have a better chance of securing your preferred seat.

8. Travel Credit: Depending on the specific card variant, you may receive an annual travel credit to offset part of your card’s annual fee.

Great.

rich1954
Adventurer A

I have the priority card and like the $75 travel credit, 7500 annual points, and 4 upgrades. Certain times of year there will be bonus point promotions, which is a good time to use the card but if you only get 1 point for $1 spent then it's time to use another card. The downside is the $149 annual fee. I've heard some people have called and asked for a waiver and got it but I have not yet tried that.