Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

purchasing multiple tickets between "points", "gift cards", and "dollars" during the same reservatio

roycenscott
Explorer C

I need to purchase 19 tickets for a family event.  Ideally they'd have the identical routing as many children will be travelling.  I've accumulated a few hundred thousand points, purchased many hundreds of dollars of travel gift cards, and would use dollars for the balance of payments.

Question:  Is if feasible when making the reservation to select 19 in the number of passengers section then when paying split the fares between three payment types?   Or will the reservation system force me to break them up by available class type availability (perhaps there will only be 5 "getaway" fares available on my selected travel dates)?

Anyone had a similar booking experience that can offer advice?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: purchasing multiple tickets between "points", "gift cards", and "dollar

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

You are correct that fares for all passengers may go up as you increase the number of passengers on a specific flight as there might not be enough seats in the cheapest fare bucket to handle your request. 

A couple notes:

-You can only book up to 8 passengers on a reservation on southwest.com 

-You can't mix RR point redemption with another form of payment on a reservation. You can mix gift cards and cash, but no more than 3 payment methods can be used for a single reservation (example: 2 gift cards and cash for the remainder). 

You may want to contact the Southwest group reservation folks to see if that would be easier for you. They work with groups of 10 or more. 

The Domestic Group Travel Services number is 1-800-433-5368 and hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 5:00 a.m. to midnight Central time. The International Group Travel Services number is 1-800-308-5037 and hours of operation are Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. to midnight Central time.

If you choose to make the reservations yourself I would suggest you actually book each individual person as an individual reservation. It's more work, but will make any future changes for an individual much easier, will allow you to make the payment with minimal number of gift cards per transaction, and ensures that you get the lowest fare for each person. I think the group travel option is better, but I understand some people like to do things themselves.

Good luck and have a great family trip 

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

Just to add to the above: Unfortunately, Group Travel does not accept points or gift cards for payment. 😞

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Just to add to the above: Unfortunately, Group Travel does not accept points or gift cards for payment. 😞

Oh, good to know.

I guess individual reservations would be how I would do it.

--TheMiddleSeat