Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Forced flight change now no control over fare

vjreilly
Explorer C

I have a roundtrip flight SAN- BOS - SAN in July/August. I received an automated message that my return flight had changed times, flight number, everything. I was automatically assigned crazy routing that would have caused me to miss a full day of my trip. (Afternoon departure became morning, one stop became two stop and a 4 hour layover.) So I logged in and made a better routing. (Afternoon departure, one stop, 1 hour and 20 layover.

Now my third-party flight tracker app indicates that I can get a much cheaper outbound ($162 less!). But because SWA changed my return flight and I tried to straighten it out, I no longer have the ability to change that outbound and save money. That doesn't seem fair at all. How can I change the outbound to the better fare? I should not be penalized because SWA made a flight change, and especially because they made a ridiculous routing that I had to fix. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Forced flight change now no control over fare

SoCalFlyer97
Aviator C
Solution

@vjreilly wrote:

I have a roundtrip flight SAN- BOS - SAN in July/August. I received an automated message that my return flight had changed times, flight number, everything. I was automatically assigned crazy routing that would have caused me to miss a full day of my trip. (Afternoon departure became morning, one stop became two stop and a 4 hour layover.) So I logged in and made a better routing. (Afternoon departure, one stop, 1 hour and 20 layover.

Now my third-party flight tracker app indicates that I can get a much cheaper outbound ($162 less!). But because SWA changed my return flight and I tried to straighten it out, I no longer have the ability to change that outbound and save money. That doesn't seem fair at all. How can I change the outbound to the better fare? I should not be penalized because SWA made a flight change, and especially because they made a ridiculous routing that I had to fix. 

Greetings fellow SAN traveler:

I'm a frequent traveler out of SAN. Our New T1's coming together nicely...Was just there last Wednesday:

20240522_073543.jpg

You are correct but no worries, this is fixable 😊.

Since SW changed your flight, you are granted a 14-day travel flexibility of the impacted flight without having to pay a difference in fare which has the side effect of preventing you from repricing the flight via the self-serve tools should the fare drop. It looks like you've used this benefit for your latest flight change.

There's two means to resolve the re-pricing issue: Either contact SW Customer Service and have a rep re-price the flight (I would re-price it that way). If you bought Early Bird Check-In with your latest booking, contacting the rep would be your method to ensure EBCI transfers to your new booking assuming your flight is more than 25 hours away.

The other option is to simply start over by cancelling the booking, receive the fight credit; then rebook it as new flight immediately to lock in the lower fare. Just keep in mind that any previous Early Bird Check-In purchases do not transfer with this option.